New Poll : Trump 37% Approval Rating

by jp1692 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@zeb: The UK does indeed have a different voting procedure, but the government is not obliged to follow the will of the people. Legally, the Queen/King and Parliament/House can overturn a popular vote as we've seen with Brexit.

The US model was an attempt at repairing the flaws in the UK democratic model, no taxation without representation and all that. Hence why the US has a Republic model where every 'community' (county and/or state) is entitled to a vote/seat regardless of its size and population. This was done so the farmers, slaves and poor people that live "in the country" are still represented even though they don't make up the same numbers as the rich people in the city do.

America always appears to be in a flux due to the two-party system controlling the 3 main parts of law-passing government (house, senate and president) but it's also very stable politically speaking because you need compromise between those 3 parties to get any law passed. In comparison, the House of Commons and House of Lords model is a lot more direct democracy so the ruling party gets things passed regardless of how good or bad the thing is and everyone else just deals with it, if May hadn't broken the House of Commons by calling an early election, she would've gotten her shitty deal through and effectively kept the UK in the EU and even so, the Queen can just wave her little hands and do whatever she wants.

Having coalition governments across multiple competing parties like other European countries has also proved to be very unstable in the long term, the current crisis in the UK is one effect but Belgium hasn't had a functioning government for the majority of time over the last decade. Those things don't create trust amongst businesses so they don't take risk, they don't invest, they don't hire.

• minimus
    minimus

Rasmussen says he’s 47% today approval. I’m not worried about the polls because they usually aren’t accurate. As was mentioned, Trump was never considered to win vs. Shrillary but miracles happen.😎

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus: I’m not worried about the polls because they usually aren’t accurate.

Okay then. So why'd you start this thread?

I'm asking for a friend.

• minimus
    minimus

Someone had said Trump was never going to get re-elected and I posted that to show that not every pollster says Trump is finished.

Remember, the polls said he would never win the presidency or primaries. Guess what, tell your friend, he won and is still your President.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus, thanks for the clarification.

FYI: Trump may be THE President, but he will never be MY President.

• minimus
    minimus

he is your President. Whether you like him or not, it smacks of ignorance to not recognize who the President of your country is.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Um, no, Minimus.

I can respect the office of the POTUS and not the person in it.

I recognize that Trump is currently the President of the United States, but that does not make him MY president. If that is truly what you believe, then you are confused about what it means to be an American.

As a teacher of US History, I have spent many years studying the foundations of our country, it's triumphs and failures, its strengths and its weaknesses. I am very familiar with the values and institutions upon which this society has been built and has grown—becoming what it currently is with all its beauty and its flaws.

It is my job to teach young minds to understand our history, its meaning and significance as they take their place in our society. It is my job to help them develop the necessary critical thinking skills to analyze complex situations and to make decisions, some which are often difficult and with no clear-cut or easy answers. It is my job to teach young adults to be willing to take a stand for what they believe in and to do so with all the necessary courage of their convictions that they may follow through and make a difference in the world. This is the only way that things ever change.

These things are my job, but they are more than that. Much, much more. I take great pride in the difference I make in the lives of my students as I teach them—not what to think, but—how to think!

The concepts of loyalty, sanctity and liberty are not mere words to me. They mean something. They mean everything. This country was founded by a small group of very brave souls that threw off the oppressive yoke of an abusive tyrant. Authority misused is authority that does not deserve to be recognized. That's what it means to me to be an American. That is our tradition. That is our birthright.

My loyalty is to the fundamental, sacred principles upon which this great nation was founded. No doubt you've heard of them. Chief among them are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These also are our birthright. They are inalienable. They cannot be taken away from us. But sometimes, we humans—in our foolishness—have given them away to undeserving ones.

After being lied to and betrayed by the leadership of the JW cult, I now and forever more reserve my loyalty only to those deserving of it. Currently, that circle is very small and it does not include the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

To use your phrase, "It smacks of ignorance" to insist that a person should give blind obedience to a person in authority when that person is unworthy of the position and undeserving of respect.

Feel free to disagree, but don't tell me what or how to be. That would be un-American.

jp

• stillin
    stillin

It just keeps blowing me away how such a liar, pussy-grabber can continue as the favorite of "the religious right.

• minimus
    minimus

Jp u r teaching young minds? Omg!

Lets say u hate ur boss maybe the boss of the company or the Superintendent of schools. Just because u hate him or don’t recognize him as a good person, it doesn’t mean he still isn’t ur boss. Teaching otherwise is pure arrogance and ignorance. No wonder kids are effed up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit