10 reasons why you should never have a religion

by tornapart 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

I found this great article. It's rather long but a good read for anyone interested.

The 10 bullet points are:-

1) Spirituality for dummies

2) Loss of spiritual depth perception

3) Engineered obedience training

4) Toilet-bowl time management

5) Support your local pedophile

6) Incest is best

7) Idiocy or hypocrisy- pick one

8) Inherited falsehood

9) Compassion in chains

10) Faith is fear

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/05/10-reasons-you-should-never-have-a-religion/

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting points.

His writing style is not likely to convince anyone that is still a believer, but it does add some clarity for those of us that already thing religion is all bullshit.

It's a bit of preaching to the atheist choirs (if you'll pardon the ironic metaphor), but I still found it an enjoyable read.

Thanks for sharing!

• tornapart
    tornapart

Yeah... I thought that too Oub... LOL But I reckon it might be good for those 'on the edge' so to speak, just in the process of waking up. Especially those who are feeling constricted and want to try a little bit of independent thinking.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Agreed. You might say articles like that are a form of positively reinforcing confirmation bias for ex-cult members like us!

• tornapart
    tornapart

Yes, I it does! I must say that when I was first waking up I did find all my feelings a little confusing and the feeling of 'safety' in knowing you have all the answers is gone. The rug has been well and truly pulled out from under you. Now I feel much more freedom in realising I know nothing and this gives me the excitement of learning from scratch so to speak. I feel like a toddler that is just beginning to walk and explore the world. LOL There's so many different ways of looking at things and knowing you don't have to feel constrained into believing anything anymore... just go with the flow. If you feel uncomfortable with a belief, then just dump it and explore new avenues. There's no such thing as 'information control' anymore!

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

My definition of religion is money.

The Rebel

• millie210
    millie210

I liked it!

Does that make me an atheist? :relaxed:

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

1 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

2 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

3 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

4 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

5 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

6 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

7 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

8 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

9 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

10 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

I've always liked the way these gave insight into a bit of human psychology
  • tornapart
    tornapart

Fink... I like those, so true!

• tornapart
    tornapart

Millie... I'm no atheist and I liked it! To me, being a christian doesn't mean you have to be a brain dead zombie LOL I'm still open to lots of new ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit