1975 on the back burner

by Fisherman 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

“1975” still marks 6000 years from the creation of Adam in WT calendar. According to “All Scriptures Inspired” book, there is a gap between the creation of Adam and the creation of Eve and her marriage to Adam. It was at that point in time when Eve was created that marked the end of the 6th Creative Day and the beginning of God’s rest, the 7th day as recorded in Genesis. WT had always taught that creation took 6 creative days—and 1 rest day that would last 7000 years. And the last 1000 years of the 7000 years is the Millennium reign of Christ which would start at the end of 6000 years counting from the beginning of the creation of Eve.

Here we are 48 years later after (1975) the creation of Adam and he is still a bachelor. It is ironic if the marriage of Adam would also correspond with the “marriage of the lamb” explained in Revelation. As WT explained in the past, the 1000 year reign of Christ should neatly begin 6000 years after the creation of Eve. And the end of the 1000 year reign of Christ which is also the end of the 7th creative day and the end of God’s rest. God then proclaims at the end of the Millenium, 7000 years of man’s existence, the 7th day, as “good”. —Makes sense but not sure if it is still JW doctrine at present. Makes you wonder because Adam had a 48 year old and counting relationship with God but still took sides with his wife after that instead of sticking with God ( that doesn’t make sense ). On the other hand,it is hard to believe that God waited so long to create Eve.

So, all the Bible prophecies apparently converge at the same time: the seven times, the marriage of the lamb, Armageddon, Christ’s last day’s prophecy, the feet of clay, this generation…….

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman:

On the other hand,it is hard to believe that God waited so long to create Eve.

Yeah, that's the only part that's hard to believe. 🙄🤦‍♂️

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Then again the Bible could all be Bullshit . Just saying.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

The whole 6000 years business is based on OT chronology, which its writers (the Jews) would be quick to tell us was never intended to be interpreted literally.

How could one possibly be bent out of shape by a collection of myths intended only to be folklore? Might as well take as literal stories such as “Jack and the Beanstalk”. It would carry as much credibility, that’s for sure.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

According to the story, Adam lived to be 930 years old. So there's a very long gap that might exist. In other words, JWs can milk this thing for decades to come.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to the Genesis account Adam was 130 when they had their first child, so that sets the absolute limit of the delay between the creation of Adam and Eve at 129 years. That would put the latest date for the 6000-year anniversary of the creation of Eve at 2104. That would be 190 years after the Gentile Times ended in 1914 – quite a stretch.

One or the (many ) issues that Fred Franz never really properly addressed however, when compiling his Bible chronology, is the fact that 130 years sounds like a suspicious round number, as do many of the figures in Genesis. Any modern statistician would consider the fact that we are presented with so many round numbers as strong evidence that we are dealing with estimates or rounded up figures (setting aside the possibility that the numbers are not even intended to be taken literally at all) which cumulatively can lead to a fairly substantial margin of error. Franz’s answer to this objection was that he believed God wouldn’t have provided the figures if they could not be used to compile an accurate chronology. But this assumes he is correct that it was God’s intention that an accurate chronology could be derived from them, an assumption for which he doesn’t offer any support.

If I recall correctly, I think Franz also offered the suggestion that the errors in the rounded up figures probably cancel out. This would depend how you round up the numbers. If the numbers are rounded to the nearest ten then maybe they do largely cancel out. (134 and 126 are both rounded to 130) But if the numbers are rounded to the preceding ten that could build up to a substantial difference. (134 rounded to 130 but 126 rounded to 120) Even if the more accurate rounding method was used, that would still allow for an overall margin of error a number of years in total.

• TD
    TD

On three separate occasions, JW's stated in writing that Eve was created in the same year as Adam. (Fred Franz joked about it from the platform as well, but not everybody remembers that.)

On several other occasions, JW literature asserted that Eve was also 130 years old when Seth was born, which is essentially the same thing.

JW literature prior to 1975 also speculated that Abel could have been as much as 100 years old at the time of his death. (Which was before the birth of Seth.)

Forgive me for asking, but do JW's still accept the 1975 date?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Genesis 1 says man and woman were made at the same time. So which creation story is more authoritative?

• blondie
    blondie

I have mentioned this several times on JWN, the WTS stopped mention 6,000 year creative days in 1987. This a technique the WTS has used regarding some base "teachings" in the past rather than bringing attention to the change. This was the technique the WTS used regarding having or not having vaccinations. In 1953, a confused jw wrote into the WTS, which was printed in the Questions from Readers section in the WT, in the back of the article, figuring many if not most jws were lucky if they read the study articles. "Second, a study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate that each of the creative days (Genesis, chapter 1) is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ’s reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God’s 7,000-year ‘rest day,’ the last ‘day’ of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long." January 1, 1987 Questions from Readers, p.30 (Nada after than, except a quote from a publication pre-1987). I remember being a Tuesday night book study, re-studying a publication that was originally printed pre-1987 using the 6,000 year creative statement. The conductor had become a jw long after 1987 and had no idea about the original teaching. A jw when answering the question didn't even notice that the WTS had re-printed to book, changing that teaching to "thousands and thousands of years." The conductor corrected him because the conductor had the re-printed version. The original jw was confused. Prior to studying the book at the Tuesday study, the WTS had encouraged older jws to get the newer version to use because the old one would be underlined, messy, and those jws would just rely on the old underlining. Well, the original jw was poor and could not afford a new book, having to buy food with it.) So most jws today have never heard the phrase of a 7,000 year creative day. And unless the read old publications (but barely taking time to read the new ones), they would have to be a jw like I was and loved reading old publications and I started seeing the "updates" that disappeared by the wayside.

• W87 1/1 p. 30 Questions From Readers
  • ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

The old green-backed NWT showed the length of the creative days as 7K each. See the Table, "Books of the Bible" and look at the time period covered for Genesis)

I recall JWs disputing that WTC ever taught that. When I took my old green NWT off the shelf and turned to that Table, they just stared. Not a single one EVER acknowledged that it was a flip flop on teaching. I pointed out that it was hard to find a published explanation but the green bible was proof positive that the teaching had changed. Crickets....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit