I'll be speaking at Columbia University next weekend, meetup to follow....

by dubstepped 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

dubstepped ...

Wow, you are bringing back some classes I took on Psychology in college, especially the part about "citations".

Following all of the APA guidelines on how to quote a book, an article, a person, a group of people and imbed it in the text brings back some interesting memories. You know, the Title Page, Abstract, Main topic, References, etc. (Unless it is an experimental topic or legal which then adds additional sections. Blondie could explain this better than I can). The last I saw, the APA is up to the 6th edition or something.

I just remember many late nights editing a paper on whether to put a period here, a colon there, parenthesis here, italics there, etc.

Wow, I feel like I should add a Reference page.

I remember one professor that made you do citations on virtually everything you wrote. I wanted to ask him if I needed a citation on why I need to go to the bathroom ... lol.

Thanks for the memories (I think).

Rub a Dub

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Simon - Yep, Sarah Haider is one of the organizers of the event. I know Torah Bontrager from the Amish community as I interviewed her on my podcast. Malkie Schwartz from the Jewish community is hosting the particular panel that I'm on. All great ladies.

I tried reaching out to the Muslim community for inclusion on my podcast and couldn't get anyone to speak publicly. Perhaps Sarah or someone in her community will speak on my podcast as well. I'd love to get their voice on too. It's amazing to see the similarities and then where these groups differ.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Biahi - Sorry you can't make it. I'm trying to get out there and to meet people and give a voice to people that often don't have one.

@Rub a Dub - Sorry to bring out your ptsd regarding citations.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "...The similarities between the challenges for ex-JWs and ex-Muslims is a perfect example of how the psychology and behaviors are often identical even though the religion and beliefs couldn't be further apart..."

I dunno...

...frankly, I find fundamentalist Christianity (including JWs) and fundamentalist Islam to be - at their core - pretty damn similar.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Very cool!

Please let us know how it goes.

jp

• Spiral
    Spiral

Yes! Please keep us posted, and if there's anything recorded, I'd love to hear it.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks guys. There will definitely be something recorded. I'll see what I can make of it all when I get back. I'll share it here when I get it ready.

• Zoos
    Zoos

Be sure to send an invitation to the boys at Warwick.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Hi Dubstepped,

You and your wife are doing a great job in educating the public and giving a voice to many who might otherwise have not been heard.

I absolutely enjoyed Your speech at UOL on jw's and propaganda, it was really well presented and I thank you and your wife for sharing.

Looking forward to anything you will be able to share from the upcoming speaking part and event at UOC.

We all know that high-control religions have been negatively impacting human rights and It will be good to hear this being discussed in a forum that has education at its core.

RayoFlight2014.

• blondie
    blondie

Wish I could be there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit