Does anybody here read Zecharia Sitchin?

by Waymores Ghost 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

There are many events in Genesis you can actually take quite literally (when seen through the eyes of ancient peoples) if any of the ancient Sumarian writings are factually correct. Fundies like JWs wouldn't be able to handle that kinda truth.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    There are many events in Genesis you can actually take quite literally...Fundies like JWs wouldn't be able to handle that kinda truth.

A very literal interpretation of Genesis is a major part of JW's fundy theology, so I don't understand what you're saying, could you elaborate?

• Satanus
    Satanus

You and my dad should get together. Basically, the scammer sitchen, freely translates old sumerian and akkadian tablets in order to fomulate the story that there is a tenth planet out there somewhere, beyond pluto, which he calls neberu. On this planet resided the gods, latterly known as annunaki. It was these 'gods' who created humans to serve as a slave race in the mining of certain minerals on the earth. Sitchen mixes in some of the genesis myths in order to suck in christians/fringe bibalists.

It's interesting how some people, like my dad are unable to accept reasonably solid history. They are titilated by strange fluff from flimflammers like charles russel and zecharia sitchin. You know, there isn't much point in debunking this horse s***t, because some people just love it's taste, and so, they will just find a new supply somewhere else. So have at it. Yumm!

Cordially, SS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

hear hear.....i agree completely.... According to Sitchen, Sodom was a spaceport destroyed in a nuclear attack around 2000 BC.... Some of Sitchen's stuff is actually quite entertaining, as fantasy. I love the tales he comes up with for the Pyramid Wars circa 9000 BC. I also like the non sequitur logic. Like an ancient Sumerian seal showing a circle with 10 rings around it, which he interprets as a representation of the solar system. Sitchen says how amazing they knew the actual number of planets (taking his interpretation as prima facie evidence) in our solar system. Of course, we all know there are 9 planets, not 10, so much for this "evidence". But Sitchen makes it work by claiming that there is indeed a tenth planet, and this seal is instead primary evidence of it! hahahaha Leolaia

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The problem is that these writings, like those of Velikovsky, is that they are based on the assumption that the mythology of ancient people should be read as actual history. While some of the stories may be based on a core historical event, retelling them orally for generations resulted in details being changed, and at times different accounts were combined into one by a later teller. Even a casual reading of Genesis shows numerous contradictions. For example, Chapter 1 says vegetation before people, chapter 2 says that people came before vegetation. Both cannot be simultaneously true.

Another claim is that green grass existed before the Sun, which clearly cannot be based on actual events. One would think that nomadic people living in close contact with the natural world would have known better than this.

Interpreting documents to claim that the human race was created by 'alien beings' simply raises the question 'How did the aliens come to exist?' Were they the product of evolution, or did someone else create them. If someone created THEM, who created that someone?...

I was once asked to review a videotape which supported many of these ideas. While the production values were very good, the tape made similar claims about alien races on various planets interacting with Earth. Additionally, the claim was made that planets moved from one orbit to another in short periods of time without destroying themselves, or that they approached closely to other planets, exchanging atmospheric gases, etc. The easiest claim to test was that one planet rotated with its north pole always facing the Sun, which is not physically possible (try this with a gyroscope or a rapidly spinning bicycle wheel and feel it twist in your hand).

gaiagirl

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

Hi Dan,

I simply mean that biblical accounts of let's say for instance the "Nephilim" take on a whole new perspective within the Sitchin framework. Those who subscribe to the biblical account and those that accept the Sitchin theory may both agree that these beings actually existed, but fundies like JWs could never be swayed from the belief that these "Nephirim" were "spirit beings" that were once part of "God's" heavenly force who followed a once good but turned bad angel named "Satan" and materialized as supermen and did some earth women until they were banquished to a place where as my grandad said once during a meeting at the KH when answering a question - "all they could do now is look".

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"all they can do is look"....so much for them being in "dense darkness" in Tartarus, as claimed by Peter.... -- Leolaia

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

Saint S,

Whoa there buddy...haha...

I'm just a kind of person always looking for another viewpoint, that's all. I don't subscribe to either viewpoint. The Bible is just plain impossible from scientific point and the existence of another planet in our solar system I find kinda hard to believe. I mean, when Pluto was discovered there wasn't near the capacity for scanning the skies that we've gained particularly in the last three decades and if there was another planet orbiting our Sun we would have found it by now.

Wg

• Satanus
    Satanus

Way

It never hurts to get more info. Sitchen is a subject that hasn't been done here, to my knowledge. I also would welcome more info on him and his fantasies. Actually, i don't totally dismiss that there could be another planet or two orbiting earth.

SS

• jackal
    jackal

When I was in my teens, Erik von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods was all the rage. He used a lot of literal-minded interpretations of ancient texts and artifacts to "prove" that flying saucers had visited the earth, built the pyramids, and so on. But hey, I loved the book then and really hung on every word. I wanted to believe in the saucers. And you know what? For all its faults, Chariots of the Gods made more sense than the stuff we were reading in our Tuesday book study. Anybody remember Babylon the Great Has Fallen?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit