Chapter 21 New Boy 50 years a Watchtower slave

by new boy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

Chapter 21

“Black Thursday” the day the music died

Knorr gathered all the Bethel overseers and Governing Body to the Kingdom Hall in the 119 building. The Three Freds (ex-circuit overseers) and about fifty brothers showed up. That’s right only fifty showed up. The other guys chickened out, they knew it was going to be a blood bath. I was there with 5 others from the Laundry. No turning back now. I was sure god’s organization and his holy spirit would deal with these matters.

They brought the brothers into the auditorium in small groups or one at a time. So we were not present for the testimony of the different brothers but we did heard about some of it later.

It started out with Dan Smoley who wasn’t even 30 years old and partaking. Meaning he thought he was part of the little flock or the anointed ones. As mentioned before these are chosen directly by god. He told all the overseers there about how Max Larson had told him in no uncertain terms, that there was no way was one of the anointed!

Max was the head of the whole factory complex. Max was very close Knorr. They would dress their wives up and go dancing together at the “rainbow room” in Manhattan. Max at the time was just a member of the “great crowd.” Which really pissed him off. I mean how could god pick this kid, over Max? Especially since Max had been at god’s house for over 40 years?

Sometimes I wonder how God picks those anointed guys anyway, God can be strange sometimes.

Guess what? Years later Max started partaking. What a surprise god changes his mind once again.

Back at the meeting, the stories of Bethel's Elders misconduct and abuse of power kept flowing. They were shaking the pillars of the organization! Knorr knew this and got madder and madder. With fire coming out of his eyes, he would have loved to have killed us all on the spot! Everyone knew these men were above the law. How dare we? Where the hell is Jehu, when you need him?

Then it was our turn to share our information about our dear brother Ken. Some of the brothers from the laundry started telling about some of Ken’s escapades. Knorr when off on all of us. Than something crazy happened as he was in the middle of his rant. All of a sudden Fred Franz stood up and said "These men are appointed to their positions of responsibility/power not because of their spiritual qualifications but because of their secular abilities!" The room was silent. What did this mean? No one really knew for sure. This statement did stop Knorr dead in his tracks however.

So Knorr said. "We will look into these matters later." End of meeting.

As Jim Pipkorn and Jack Sutton were walking back from the meeting, Jim looked over at Jack and asked him how he thought the meeting went?

“Well, I think this is the end of our Bethel careers.” Of course he was right.

What happened after Black Thursday? Basically nothing. There was only one committee meeting. Brother Lang presided. It was about my Laundry overseer, Ken Doweling, brother Couch wasn’t exactly a disinterested third party because he was the one who appointed Ken to his position of oversight in the first place. So if he was removed it would be a reflection on him.

They gave Ken a slap on the wrist. By the time I left Bethel two years later, he was promoted to where else? The Bethel office! Back to the most power office in the Bethel Home. Yep, he now had the chance to train new Bethel overseers and be an example to them.

He was "a company man" and "company men" always take care of their own. Just look at the elders in any local kingdom hall today.

Oh something else did happen to about a hundred and fifty brothers and sisters there. They lost heart.

Of course nothing happened to the other Bethel overseers. Funny how this was reminiscent of what happened to my parents back in 1961. Could there be a pattern here? If there was I couldn’t see it at the time. I just didn’t want to see it for sure. After years in the organizations, I have to say this was no coincidence. Just the voice of “Christmas future.”

They didn't kick the three Freds out for their transgressions. Looking back it would have been kinder if they had kicked then out.

Instead they would try to break them, and humiliate them in front of the whole Bethel family. They made their lives living hell.

They even put Fred Barnes, who was well into his fifties at the time on a machine called “The Gather." This was a machine that even 19 year olds had a hard time keeping up with.

Fred had a heart attack. What a surprise. They were kind enough to take him off that wicked machine after that. “By their love you will know them.”

They were really hoping all three brothers and their wives would just quit and leave. Really where could these guys go in their fifties. They had invested their whole life into the program. Leaving Bethel in disgrace wasn't an option so they stayed.

Of course the rest of us "Laundry boys" we were screwed also, as were the others that showed up at that meaning. We were all marked. We had done the unforgivable, by binging up the wrong doings of the bethel overseers. Our Bethel careers were over. Our files were noted.

There was only one thing left to do, serve our time and get out.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

GOD'S organization on earth. NO WAY.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Larsen's eyebrows were bigger than hairbrushes and I cannot figure how he got away with keeping them so long without being counseled to trim them down like everybody else's. Also, how did they hand pick those brothers to work in the gatherers and in the laundry -and in the can crew- hmmm. Also, I could never understand why Songer wasn't factory overseer instead of Larsen, he was certainly more qualified -at least that's how I saw it.

• new boy
    new boy

Dean Songer was NPG and they knew it.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I respectfully disagree. Songer was never NPG. He loved women. Referring to gay, Songer said: "I can't understand it" referring to the attraction. But he was very merciful and compassionate and had so much empathy and understood human weaknesses an desires; and not the sort of elder that wanted to serve in a JC. Magnificent and irreprehensible are words that describe him. He chose to be single expecting the end and praying for a soulmate of extreme beauty someday. A remarkable and loving man, an example; having no flaw in character or in conduct. One of the greatest of men -if not the greatest- in the org. In my humble opinion, he is truly worthy of respect.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Poor Fred Hilmo was banished to Watchtower Farms. He was relegated to cleaning typewriters and small pieces of equipment. I was on speaking terms with him and found him to be a very humble and kind man. He was a man of small stature and had a quiet demeanor about him.It must have taken a lot of courage on his part to stand up against Knorr and the Bethel 'power brokers'.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i read the name--Jack Sutton--i did a double take----that was my fathers name !.....just that--Jack Sutton. not John--no other names. he became a dub about 55 years ago. he died last january--aged 95. he never shunned me--which meant he was shunned by other members of his family. his grand daughter ( my daughter 46 ) never once visited him in his care home over his final 3 years--even though i asked her to several times. she lived less than a mile from him. christians---you can keep them.

• new boy
    new boy

Dean Songer did seem like a real person.

However I feel concerning all Bethel overseers unless you stood up like the three Freds and called bull shit. "You are as much responsible for the evil you commit as the evil you permit."

Other wise like the Nazis war trails its the old "We were just obeying orders.

P.S. I don't care if he was straight, NPG or active gay. There is no judgement here.

P.S.S What ever happened to him anyway?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Latest news he is still working although they have retired a lot of people- they use him. He was in writing last I heard. In your day I think he was in dispatch and AFO.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from I Own My Life:

GOD'S organization on earth. NO WAY.

Brilliant! You've hit that nail smack on its head!

But, if not His; then whose?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit