Did You Ever Feel Refreshed As A Jehovah's Witness???

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The "truth" is supposed to be sooo "refreshing". The publications talk about how "happy and refreshed" Witnesses always are. Was that your experience? Do you recall ever really feeling "refreshed"?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I used to have spiritual experiences on my own, out in the woods or something, that helped me feel redeemed and special. I don't think that anything in the borg was ever refreshing, although I've had some experiences where I felt appreciated and loved - they were fairly refreshing and redemptive.

But they were just drops of water to someone dying of thirst - nice, but essentially useless because they weren't enough. I had emotional needs that the borg wouldn't fill. needs like creative expression, sexual intimacy, beer...

CZAR

• freedom96
    freedom96

I felt worn and tired as a witness. And during most of that, I was a kid!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Never.

Anytime I had to do something JW related I felt tired and sluggish and ended up feeling depressed.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I guess there were times when you talked to someone about the bible and they were all excited to learn. We thought we were doing the right thing and I love people so if we were able to give them something that made them happy to learn about, I guess it was a happy refreshing feeling.

I'm glad now most of them didn't end up wanting more though.. now that I know what we were teaching wasn't necessarily the road to God.

• Special K
    Special K

Now that your asking mimimus..

No.. I can't say that I did, as I look back on it all.

Always felt.. PUSHED and PULLED. The never did enough feeling.

My husband and I just went to watch our 8 year old play a hockey game. All those kids playing hockey and all us parents cheering.....

Just got home and I feel refreshed, happy contented, life's wonderful kind of feeling.

Never felt that while I was a J.W.

But,, I never had the appreciations for things that I do now, either.

sincerely

Special K

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was thinking, I was trying to focus on if I could remember a refreshed feeling.. and I guess sometimes at Conventions or assemblies you could feel pumped up.. if I wanted to think about other feelings.. like how tired I was on a meeting night and didn't want to go.. or just plain depressed from feeling like you can never do enough.. THAT being the opposite of refreshed was what was felt most often.

• foreword
    foreword

Only when I got baptized that hot July afternoon at a district convention in Montreal. I was so pure then, I didn't even think or take the time to check out the sisters in bathing suits....gawd...what an idiot...

• patio34
    patio34

Yes, I did. I thought I was learning the "truth." Your other question about did we feel comforted at the meetings, the answer was an emphatic "never!" But this one I did feel.

But, you know, i'll bet it was because of the pressure i got from family members that i felt "relief" or "refreshment" at the meetings. If there hadn't been pressure, i wouldn't have felt "refreshed."

Pat

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Once --when I left the first meeting I had with the DO/CO and circuit elders around Circuit assembly time -- the singing was exhilirating as was everything else --- other than that not really

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit