Activism works! Success!

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Want to keep as short as possible, if any questions just ask.

Just this weekend gone, I had two visitors (PIMI SINGLE BROS).They came round for a visit and a long chat.They had so many questions now that they have woken. They are planning their fading(??), one is an ministerial servant .

This all started with me trying to help wake them (kinda like 8 months or more in the making). Only recently I remember we all were talking about politics, scientology,what is true with media etc.I remember I just put "miracle wheat" out there with a couple of other statements. although I am POMO , we meet up with each other discreetly to continue to be friends. When we meet we talk about anything n everything even the jdumbs but not negatively (did not want to scare them off); and thus started my waking them up. It was hardwork n a challenge at first but bit by bit I noticed that after we talk about something, both of them would go google stuff and read up on things. One of them hyperventilates everytime he hears of something against the jdumbs beliefs coz it scares the bjeezes out of him. So I have taken it slow.

After I had put the word in "Miracle wheat", they went home and googles it , found a youtube video that made them ask more questions. I had not mentioned russell at all in connection to this.This visit they came and shared all what thye found with links and videos and asking for my help to discuss other things they have been secretly researching, though not happy. They are quite angry, upset. They are still not sure about everything coz of lack of info and time to let things register (if you know what I mean).

I have now been sharing a little more everytime and helping them dig deeper and they can decide better. As much as they are still in two minds, both want to get a little distance from the "truth" and time to think things through clearly.I do not influence people to decide to leave or stay in the jdumb world but I do guide with info to wake up.Leave the rest to them.

Any pointers please let me know.

Zing

• Chook
    Chook

Ask your friends if any religious leaders go beyond what’s written and it cost a parishioner their life should they be held accountable? Then go on to explain how GB forbid organ transplants and blood fractions which killed individuals.

• Giordano
    Giordano

A good example of leading......... not telling or insisting........ Zing.

The wall that the JW believer has built re their beliefs has to be brought down by that individual JW themselves. It must happen through their own research and their own process of establishing real facts and real truth.

The problem is Cognitive Dissonance. This is the main reason every conversation breaks down into an argument, hostility, or gross indifference to what you as a non believer has to say.

Cognitive dissonance is a concept in social psychology. It is the discomfort felt by a person who holds conflicting ideas, beliefs or values at the same time. In this state, people may feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment.

In short: In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. This discomfort is triggered by a situation in which a person's belief clashes with new evidence perceived by the person.

This is the working theory why every conversation with a believing JW usually falls on deaf ears. It becomes so disruptive that even the closest family member will be rejecting all the common sense you offered (been there tried to do that) because your 'truth' can not be fit into their 'truth'.

Eric Hopper wrote in The True Believer:

"All active mass movements strive, therefore, to interpose a fact-proof screen between the faithful and the realities of the world. ...by claiming that the ultimate and absolute truth is already embodied in their doctrine and that there is no truth nor certitude outside it. ...To rely on the evidence of senses and of reason is heresy and treason. It is startling to realize how much unbelief is necessary to make belief possible. What we know as blind faith is sustained by innumerable unbelief's."

Zing gets the right way to help people out of the religion.......... people have to be encouraged to look into their religion for themselves.

If you don't get that need from a JW to question their religion there is not much you can accomplish.

• carla
    carla

Wish my jw would knock on your door!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course activism works.

And before anybody voices discomfort about doing things like YouTube videos, manifestos, or other public avenues...

...as far as I'm concerned, just posting on this forum - even anonymously - constitutes a form of activism.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

Sometimes a little seed grows into the most wonderful tree!

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@Chook, thanks for the pointer. That is definitely on the table but for desserts and a little later. As you can understand they are going through a lot of emotions at the moment and feel confused, lost,Their world s in turmoil and upside down. I do not want to drown them in the ttatt.I want to wake them up but at the same time keep them sane if you like.Overload might blow their fuse totally and I certainly do not want to be responsible fr that. Emotions are involved so I tread carefully n gently.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@Carla Send him my way anytime, I will gladly speak with him.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@ Giordano, thank you my friend for those encouraging words and your time in writing out that long response. Including these two it will make 15 who I have helped in makiing a decision of fading or getting out outright; and still counting.

It is hard work and challenging, not without tears if you are very close to them. No one in my congregation knows what I am doing .

Zing

• Lets Think
    Lets Think

Vidiot, totally agree, I believe in the death by a thousand cuts way of reducing WT power. Like you said, every post, every seed of doubt planted, every utube video, every lawsuit, every time we even tell non witnesses the dangers of the cult, we make an impact. I really believe the tide is turning on the org. We will start to see numbers decline in a meaningful way in the years to come

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit