Has Watchtower been hacked?

by FatFreek 2005 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    "There are two kinds of companies in the world: those that know they've been hacked, and those that have been hacked and don't yet know it." Robert Hackett, Fortune

But how about Watchtower? Why has it been so immune to hacking?

While JWleaks has been a great source of much confidential information, I have yet to see evidence of a leak of JW headquarters' level information, governing body private matters, worldwide and branch financials, etc.

What surprises me is that while each year there are some 80,000 disgruntled people that exit the org by way of DF and DA, none from that group (provided that he/she has the technical expertise) has yet been motivated to perform a hack on WT networks that could expose what many on this forum already speculate about.

What do you think?

• steve2
    steve2

My guess would be that there is a highly strict policy regarding the contents of emails and messages that are contained there within.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    What makes you think they've never been hacked? If they were hacked, do you think they will make that public?
  • LV101
    LV101

They must be hack-free. Remember yrs. ago (about 6 - 8 maybe) and one of the top wikileak types was trying to hack W/T's data on pedophile cases. They couldn't do it so it must not have been the top 'leak' hacker but they were trying to figure out their codes to break through their system. Just didn't make sense they couldn't get the info if, in fact, they were the real thing.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    What makes you think they've never been hacked? If they were hacked, do you think they will make that public?

While WT wouldn't make it public, the hacker would if he were a disgruntled exJW -- and I'd say that most exJWs fit that category.

• Done
    Done

I remember hearing something about 3 seperate layers of security, or 3 seperate firewalls or something and that the first layer had been breached but not any further. Proof of jahs blessing and protection.

It was coming from a bro with bethel connections, but he was also technologically challenged.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

In my experience, the result of most hacks is a mix of technological prodding coupled with the collaboration from disgruntled insiders. Seldomly can a major hack by achieved without a combination of the above.

The most sought after hacks today are those that yield personal information like financial and health data. I figure WT does not keep massive amounts of the above and even if it did, those people don't have much money to steal.

With all that said, they key here, is that most businesses have no incentive to keep your data secure. Only as far as the expense is worth it. This has been seen time and time again. This assessment is not of my own making. I am paraphrasing a top security analyst.

The WT has plenty of free labor and tax free hardware and services to keep itself secure, fed by a mostly highly committed group of individuals who feel they are doing this work for a higher authority.

Would not be as easy. Getting a high level password is not even enough.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

But how about Watchtower? Why has it been so immune to hacking?

Because nobody give a flying **** about WTS beyond current and former JWs who are not even 1/10th of 1% of the population. More people (100x as many JWs in the US) as there are cared about "Who Shot JR?" (you kids can google it) than who care about JWs.

• Onager
    Onager

The problem is that the of the 80,000 people that leave the org each year hardly any will have the skills and knowledge necessary to hack the org. You can't hack a computer network by hitting it with a soapy mop or a squeegee...

Of the small percentage that do have the skills, most of those won't have the knowledge of the systems required. What you need is an Ex-JW who was at Bethel, in an IT related position and has hacking skills. That combination of traits might not exist though. :(

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    FatFreek - :...a disgruntled exJW -- and I'd say that most exJWs fit that category..."

You might be surprised...

...but even if you were right, can you really blame 'em?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit