Thoughts on JW funerals

by Syme 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• solomon
    solomon

It’s a jw infomercial. I was at one where the deceased had lots of inactive jw relatives. The a hole that was giving the funeral talk used the opportunity to try and guilt them to start attending again.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Disgusting how they suck the life out of the rank and file and then don't even give them a decent funeral. what a bunch of C suckers.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’m dreading when my mom dies.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I have only been to one JW funeral.

There was a sprinkling of non-JWs in attendance; neighbours of the deceased etc. They were easy to spot because they came dressed “smart casual” whereas JWs came dressed like that were attending the board meeting. I felt the urge to try to tell some of them, that I was one of them, but the opportunity didn’t arise. (I’ve never been a JW, but I was also dressed like it was a board meeting.)

The talk was by an elder who knew the deceased, and did talk a little about the deceased, including a few antidotes that I knew to be true. But of course Borg theology had to come into it.

During the talk, I could not help but wonder what the non-JWs would be thinking. The whole thing was rather formal and unemotional; which is weird for a funeral, especially as the deceased was not that old. Outsiders would not have realised that the person giving the talk was an elder.

The elder brought some biblical quotes into a funeral talk, which is not unusual in itself. The quote snippets he used flipping back and forth might have seen odd to someone paying attention. He emphasised Ephesians 9:5 (I think it was that one) which is an odd one to mention at a funeral, about the dead knowing nothing. I know how it fits with JW theology, but it wasn’t explained, and an outsider probably would have thought the speaker had lost his place and accidentally left something out.

Then late in the talk, the elder said something like, “and [the deceased’s] biggest regret would have been that he did not see Armageddon.” I think at that very instant, all non-JWs in the audience would have realised they were surrounded by a bunch of crazies.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A lot depends on the speaker.. If he is one to go by the book he will stick to the printed outline and say little about the deceased. Others include more personal things .

At my time of life I have seen many old friends go, and their memorial services varied enormously.

Make sure you get the right elder to take it.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

From my experience it depends on the elders and maybe the make up of the family. I attended a funeral recently, where some of the immediate family was “worldly”. The obituary was read, which was pretty lengthy, a reading of about 5 tributes from the family was read, and there was an interview of one of the family members. The rest was done according to the outline.

• menrov
    menrov

I am also surprised to notice how fast the people in the congregation have forgotten their co-JW's who have died. They hardly ever speak about them, regardless if they were an elder, m.s. or just publisher or regardless number of years they served in the congregation. It is often like they have never existed.

Also, in some cases, I noticed that the stone on the grave is very simple compared to non-JW graves. I respect that costs might be a driver for this but I tend to believe that a "lack" of appreciation of the person is a stronger driver, with the argument: well, it is only temporary (hmmm.....) until resurrection.

• TD
    TD

Cannot up-vote or sympathize enough...

JW services are an absolute abomination.

People chattering, laughing, discussing sports teams, recipes, their plans for the weekend and other diversions on the way in.

A noisy, page-rustling bible study explaining JW views of death, resurrection and paradise. The departed loved one and their memory is only a foil in this explanation

People chattering, laughing, discussing sports teams, recipes, their plans for the weekend and other diversions on the way out.

---And this is supposed to recommend JW's as a faith to "unbelieving" relatives, who are shocked, saddened and horrified by this behavior.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I really think people go for the reception. Now we dont have that.

There is a loneliness with everything being organized ariund " service". That is why the talk about sports etc. if given an opening.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My (slightly awakened) 80+ yo mom told the elder that she plans to speak at her funeral that she DOES NOT WANT A JW COMMERICAL. The old broad has some balls. When you get that old, you can get away with a lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit