Thoughts on JW funerals

by Syme 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I want a wake out in the woods.

Maybe the powers finally figured out that threats about studying didnt go well. I havent seen or heard tge newest outline

I do note that memorials are scheduled at riduculous inconvenient times

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

I have recently attended a Zoom funeral and it was VERY personal. It was given by someone close to the family who is not an elder. I was told that an elder giving the talk is preferred, but by no means required. It's up to the family. Both prayers at the beginning and end were also very personal. Afterward, there were slides of photographs and everyone was encouraged to stay and share personal stories and just hang out. People stayed on for over an hour just chatting. Everything was very informal. I believe it was the nicest funeral I have attended.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have recently attended 2 JW funerals. The 1st one I have to say would of been 50/50 about the deceased and JW doctrine. I was so impressed by this I actually commented on it to the elder, who gave the service . The friends ( be it conditional ones) put on a lovely after function. I personally didn’t mind the service been 50/50,as been a jw was a major part of his life.

The second was the like the service you described. Left me somewhat bewildered.

I agree with dozy, in that things are slowly changing. I think a lot of it has to do with the elder giving the talk, and how much of a company man he is.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The locals here say it HAS to be an elder. I may die without permission

• Sherman
    Sherman

The JWS use the death of people as a exploitation vehicle to promote their resurrection doctrine and their religion as a whole.

Yes they talk a little about the individual and their service to Jehovah, talks, participation in the congregation so forth but I think they go overboard.

Most JWS funerals are attended by a portion of non JWS and the JWS intentionally use these events to lure people to the organization, kind of propaganda in action.

JWS funerals are designed and outlined by the WTS with a specific purpose in mind .

I think it would be better to talk a bit more of about the person by people who knew them and perhaps a little bit at the end about the resurrection doctrine.

• minimus
    minimus

When my mom died the elder who gave the talk was very good to her through out her last few years. He gave the talk and kept trying to personalize it by saying she would have wanted you to study the Bible and become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. She would want you come to meetings, etc...it was a sales meeting.

When my brother had his service the elder told stories about my brother and actually personalized him and after hearing how wonderful my brother was I began to question if this was really my brother they were talking about. Lol... I hope I really will not be going to another service there. It’s really a weird experience especially when you’ve been gone for a while.

• Overrated
    Overrated

My father's funeral service was about 5 minutes about him, real brief. Then a 30 minute triad on JW stuff. My non witness friends even commented that it was a plug for the cult. Basically join our group to see your love one or your toast. I have been out of it for any many years and found the whole thing to be turned into a sales pitch for the cult. What a joke!

• skin
    skin

I Have also recently watched a funeral via zoom and was shocked by how little was mentioned about the person. It started with a quick 30 - 45 sec overview of the persons life, then a 25min JW talk ending with another 30 to 45 sec talk about the person. Most watching would have been his non JW family members, im sure they would have been disgusted with it all.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    I haven't been to any meetings in over 9 years. I will no longer go inside a Kingdom Hall for any weddings or attend funeral talks. They only benefit the WTBTS as an "infomercial'' to recruit new members.
    My wife and I attended a funeral 6 years for a wonderful friend of my family . His family and my family have been friends for over 40 years. He was a wonderful family man and was respected by all members of the congregation.
    The family of the deceased decided to have a funeral talk at his one day wake since he was going to be cremated the next day. The funeral talk was for 7:30 p.m. We arrived around 7:00 p.m. to pay our condolences to the family. We had no choice but to stay and listen.
    The funeral talk started off with details of where he was born, how he met his wife and year they married, names of his children, and what year he was baptized. That ran for about 5 minutes. The last 25 minutes were about how he become a Jehovah's Witness, what his favorite scriptures were, how he served as an Elder and how all his children were Jehovah's Witnesses.
    They did not eulogize the deceased. They used it as an '' infomercial " for the benefit of the WTBTS. Shame on them for using this sad occasion for the benefit of recruiting. Anyone there in attendance who wasn't a Jehovah's Witness should shudder at this awful and shameful funeral talk.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my JW dad died 5 years ago--almost to the day. i checked his will--there were no instructions as to his funeral. as i was his sole immediate next of kin--it was up to me to organise his funeral. No way was it going to be a watchtower thing--i wouldnt have gone if it was ! just a non-religious committal. just me and 2 of my ex jw friends were there--plus 2 staff from the care home he had lived in for 3 years. All over in a few minutes. i bet they thought it was odd.

there was no-one from his congregation in attendance...but that might have been because i didnt tell anyone !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit