Over eating v over drinking

by Normalfulla 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

When I was in, I couldn't understand why the subject of over eating or gluttony was almost never discussed, there was countless talks and articles about over drinking but over eating is lumped in as the same offence in the Bible but was never discussed?

An elder who was serving in the islands told me he heard a talk given by a local in the cong there who professed that "in the new system we can eat as much as we want and not get fat"

So why was /is it not talked about?

Any thoughts?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Because most of the elders and their wives were fat asses that didn't want to draw attention to themselves.

I've known quite a few JWS who were obese and over consumers of alcohol , very unhealthy to say the least.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That's one of the only joy of being a JW (food). There are two things JWS are known for, booze and the best restaurants to eat.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its also worthy to note that JWS are admonished from participating in sports particularly in physical sports , so many become obese and unhealthy out that order.

• karter
    karter

If gluttony was a D.Fing offence....... there goes half my old congregation. And over drinking most of the Elders I ever knew.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I love this topic regarding the Dubs, because my mother was overweight all her life and was and Uber-Dub, I was always wondering if they would start DFing for being overweight because she would've been one of the top three in our Cong to go !!

Another thing is with this yet another Dub myth that would never happened is, of course the obese elders would've somehow been overlooked with this "new light" rule. Besides the Dateline story, ABC did a story on the Dubs, I believe it involved a sister that was killed in an auto accident, anyway, whatever the story was, when they interviewed her hubby I believe it was, This guy had the typical beer belly build, but add times 10 to it He looked like if you stuck a pin in his humongous belly, fart gas and beer would've filled the immediate area, including the neighboring counties.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I known of 3 elders who died prematurely in my old Hall out of being obese , which created heart problems for them as they aged.

This being said excluding some people that did look after their health.

Maybe the GB should have pressed more on the gluttony sin ?

• zeb
    zeb

Then so many would take up walking, gym swimming whatever and this would mean less hours claimed for the fs.

and i have wondered at the occasional wt on booze. As the gb have no awareness of the world I concluded it was a 'local' problem where the booze flows freely.

Having read about the goings on in bethel these days Im not surprised.

• Done
    Done

Hall I was in, one elder occasionally went into a gluttony and obesity could be a df offense rant on stage. Hall had a couple of big ones

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My spouse and I have talked about this issue for years. No local needs talks on gluttony.

Like someone else posted, most in the KH's would be DF'd. Just like most of Beth hell would be DF'd for alcoholism. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit