A Question for all those who DO live in the US...or anyone else

by Xena 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Cause unlike some...I value all opinions..even when they don't agree with me

So tell me please people....how often do you and your friends sit around saying this:

"What other country would you rather live in?"

Stated of course in this manner:

The question is stated in such a fashion as to say that nothing is better than living in the good 'ol US of A. "What, are you stupid? Who would want to live anywhere but here?"

Because APPARENTLY..it's heard over and over again in conversations all over the US.

Maybe I am just out of the loop so to speak...........

• logansrun
    logansrun

Dumb.

• Xena
    Xena

Yea I know you are logan...but I didn't want to be rude and say it....

but it's nice to see you reaching inside yourself

• Gopher
    Gopher

I believe in the old saying "Blossom whereever you are planted". I live in a Midwestern American city, and enjoy the good things while realizing life is never perfect here or anywhere else for that matter. We have clean water, clean air, good employment, good shopping and a good park system, and a football team with a 4-game losing streak. (There is other bad news and I don't wish to minimize or make sport of real problems people are facing.)

If people want to go and experience life in other nations, that's fine. Just don't always give me this "grass is greener on the other side" explanation. Once you try life elsewhere, with its pros and cons, you may come to find out that your original home isn't so bad.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

That's my Di, a sharp wit and an even sharper tongue.

Hmmm, I said tongue.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I don't know anybody who lives in the US that talks about leaving the US with the exception of one good friend who is also an ex-JW. He wants to retire in his 50's and make sure that his money lasts so he plans to live somewhere cheaper in the world and he wants to try a different culture. Right now he wants to move to Bangkok and is vacationing there next month to check it out. Other possibles are Baja, Costa Rica. I think he may have a good idea.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The United States, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavian Countries ,South of France, Italy and any Greek Island is where I would choose to live

--- all I can say is if you look at worldwide immgration statistics- -- people are falling over backwards to emigrate to United States, Great Britain, Canada, Australia --they do not seem to want to go to other places -- I know quite a few Americans and Brits are buying second homes in Ireland, and Brits buy second homes in Florida and one or two in Spain or France -- I do not see many Americans, Australians, Brits or Canadians falling over themselves to move elsewhere -- so I say ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS -- WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT

• Adam
    Adam

You've got it pretty much right. It's like saying "if you couldn't live in the US, where would you go cause obviously the US is first choice." 80 million illegal immigrants can't be wrong. Me and my girl talk about where we'd like to visit, but to live somewhere else hasn't even been considered in seriousness. I guess 1. because this is such a wonderful place to live and 2. its where we were raised so we are used to the culture and society in the US.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

i got pulled over in west texas so they could look inside my car.

he said are you an american citizen? i said, "yes sir, so far."

they made sure i wasn't smuggling someone in from mexico.

someone willing to settle for america 'cause there's nowhere else to go.

Ani D

The question isn't, does the US have fewer problems than Mexico or other Third-World countries. The problems of the US over the last hundred years have been problems of <material> success, not problems of failure. We as a society don't have to worry about where our next meal is coming from - which should free us up to make more responsible, wiser, more long-range decisions than a society that has to worry collectively about its next meal. Are we good at managing the problems of <material> success? Are we where we want to be? We assume the mantle of leadership - well, leadership isn't telling people what to do, it's moving others to action. What kind of leader are we?

• dubla
    dubla

its not something thats ever discussed in my circles. i thought it was a pretty weird argument to start out with on the other thread, really. theres plenty of great places to live, and im sure the majority, if not all, of the posters on this forum can give pros and cons about the country they live in. no country is the absolute "best" place for everyone to live, imo....actually sounds pretty preposterous.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit