Unwritten, congregational 'rules'

by Thetruthhurts 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

When I was a teen, and just stumbling into the religion in my own, the congregation gave me a surprise high school graduation party. I sat down and opened the cards everyone gave me and thanked them each personally. However, everyone was acting really strange around me. Most started backing away and keeping their gaze away. Most didn't even acknowledge my 'thank you so-and-so'. Later, an elder took me aside and let me know that JWs didn't open cards in front of others so that those who gave less wouldn't feel ashamed in the presence of those who have more. Never heard nor seen anyone else ever do that in my entire life. Not even among other JWs.

In my entire time in and around the religion, I never once saw anybody vote against a resolution. Even those who grumbled and complained. Not one single person ever, ever, ever dared to disagree with the elder body's proposals. Sometimes they never even gave us enough information to know what they were even asking of us. But we voted in favor anyway 😳

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Jofi-Wofo - How democracy will flourish when they take over the world. :/

Is that what's called a police state?

A little more on the chairs (UK). I can't remember the details exactly but chairs in a local congregation were removed and replaced from with a limited number of chairs. Concerned about the limited seating, someone asked if they could buy some more chairs. They were told no, because they were so expensive. The money for one chair could pay for a whole congregation-full of chairs in Africa.

This was puzzling and left some wondering why the chairs weren't being bought from Africa in the first place.
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

No short skirts! The skirt test meant a lady had to be able to kneel and the skirt be long enough to also cover her feet.

• Doubledecker
    Doubledecker

My Dad was an elder and he didn’t like me drawing flip book animations in the bible margins ..... that might not have been a congregation rule though 😂

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

This thread is giving me PTSD! All these things. Be there 20 minutes before the meeting, Reserving the back rows, no chewing gum, Skirts below the knees, Brothers sitting in the aisle seat, Ad nauseam!

Ok, let us all review everyone.....

IT'S A CULT!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    JWs didn't open cards in front of others

I can understand that. We'd open gifts (baby, wedding showers) without saying the name of who gave what. Even today, in my family, we'd do the same thing. Otherwise, it becomes some kind of competition of who gave the most or the best gift.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    never once saw anybody vote against a resolution.

I did. Twice. Then about 20 people or so were disfellowshipped for apostacy.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor
    1. No beards
    2. Sisters cant wear open toe sandals
    3. Suit jacket on (whatever the weather/temperature) while doing roving mics, platform mics or giving a talk.
    4. Sisters to do vacuuming and mopping when it comes to KH cleaning.
    5. Brothers have to wear a tie (I guess not doing so blocks some sort of magic from reaching Jehovah?)

Also, you'd be expected to go to the meetings even while you're on holiday (vacation) and "bring back the love of that congregation".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to say tnat most ( not all) of these would be news to me.... Are you sure we were in the same religion ?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    you'd be expected to go to the meetings even while you're on holiday (vacation) and "bring back the love of that congregation".

Ahhh that one! Yeah, I brought back the love of a few congregation I never attended!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit