How Many Here Used To Sneak Looking At "apostate" Material?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton

Bungi Bill, frankly, at the time I was full in, and the only thing I remember now was some financial details I found unbelievable. The book was a gift to me, I had shown no interest in the subject, only gave it passing attention, and I did not find the doctrinal arguments that would start to sway me later, the 'Superior Authority' reversal. Sorry but I now have only a blank.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I want to give a shout-out to Jim Penton's work. (Apocalypse Delayed) It was incredibly well-written, researched, and studious. It doesn't get enough praise and attention for the details it had in it. Undeniable, sited, referenced, facts.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I did it for 8 years. I was aware of just about everything, until I realised I could not teach my kids my personal beliefs. What did it for me was not the fact that the WT were doing mistakes even if some of those were actually bad things, nothing is perfect. What really did it for me was the fact that they demand and enforce the same authority as if they had breakfast with God every morning. If they had stuck to "were simple man doing our best" and acted accordingly, I'd probably still be in.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I had it with joke-hova, I didn't just sneak apostate sites. I went to them on purpose, and read through them on purpose. Turns out that, not only did jokehovian witlesses not follow the damnation book as they claimed they did (not even making a reasonable attempt to do so, allowing for human imperfection and misunderstandings), but that the whole book was full of outright lies. Not mistakes, lies. All intended to damn the whole human race.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    One area in which I think this board (and the posters) err is by going into an instant "attack mode" on new members who are still "on the fence" and are even WT apologists to some degree.

I agree in principle however usually a fence sitter is further along in their negative thinking and feelings about being a JW.

However some are here to re-convert others back to their religion or just count time. It is pretty obvious who a person is by the words they use and the conclusions they draw.

A surprising number arrive here with their own answers or beliefs usually based on their egos and try to turn every discussion into their private agenda.

It's one thing to protect and advise if they are going through a personal transition and they want help and answers. That kind of person is usually met with kindness. But when someone leads with their ego..... heavily invested in their own religious take, ignorant about science...... namely Evolution, ignorant about the history of the Society.....ignore the severity of the pedophile issue......... or the dangers of the blood ban they are discredited and ignored.

This is not a kind place for those who embrace rational ignorance.....that kind of ignorance works for a believing JW who is under the control of the WTBTS but it doesn't work on this site.

• minimus
    minimus

I read 30years twice. The first time it seemed to me it was more about Rutherfordites. Then years later, I reread it and understood his anger

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

no, I never looked at 'apostate' material or listened to 'apostates' while I was a witness.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

For sure for about a year before coming on here, mostly Freeminds.com I was 'on the fence' as they come. Made friends with a few believers and quickly realised that the WTBTS does not have monopoly on truth, that they skew everything to their benefit and are consummate users and manipulators. But yes during my transition period of almost a year I was treated poorly by a few individuals on here. Forgive and forget.

• NikL
    NikL

Funny you ask.

I am sneaking this during a meeting 😆

• Chook
    Chook

I looked at the forbidden word, dumbass me took a while to process it all , especially coming to realise that I taught my family this bullshit, it's a bit daunting knowing you spoon fed the shit to our love ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit