Were You Ever Interested In Early Watchtower History?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• minimus
    minimus

I also was intrigued by the Russellites and the break away sects that formed before and after Charles Taze Russell. I can only imagine what the Bible Students were thinking when Rutherford became the next Watchtower President.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

At one point.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Absolutely, I really wanted to know who started this lying and corrupt religious publishing house.

I was shocked to say the least.

• minimus
    minimus

Was Russell a charlatan or was he a sincere Pastor? Was Rutherford a true man of God or was he simply a crooked Judge?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@min:

I think I arrived at the conclusion that it doesn't really matter.

I think it matters more to JWs seeking to prove to themselves or others that it's false. But absent that, the history of the WT is interesting in much the same way the salem witch trials is interesting - as a lesson in irrationality, and a lesson in how much it can ruin your life and the life of others.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I remember reading 'Faith on the March' by A.H. MacMillan. This was not an 'officially' sanctioned society publication but was seen as a book that detailed some of the early history of the Watchtower in a favourable light.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The predecessor of the Watchtower was printed in Rochester, NY; if you look up the address on their magazine, it is now an ABVI office (Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired). Seems fitting.

• minimus
    minimus

What is the name of the predecessor?

• Overrated
    Overrated

Watchtower History is really interesting. Mostly made by two drunk, self-righteous who made up alot of stuff in the 1800 -1900's.

• vienne
    vienne

My mom and uncle got me interested. I read all three of their books, a biography of Nelson Barbour, the guy from Rochester, and the first two volumes of Separate Identity. I find early Russell history fascinating. Uncle B tells me that George Cryssides has a new book on Witnesses coming out in September or so, but it's about modern Witnesses not Russellites. I want to read it. B read the rough drafts and says he'll review it on his history blog after publication.

Most of you already know about his blog, I think. But in case some don't, it's here: https://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

As I see it, subject to revision later, Russell was a sincere but big headed man. Anyone who self-identifies as the faithful and wise servant has issues. Only Jesus can make that designation. And as the parable suggests it's made publicly. Making it yourself is at the very least, unwise. Besides, it's a parable, not a prophecy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit