Latest update: Finally Free!

by campaign of hate 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

I haven’t posted here in a while, although I have been keeping an eye on the posts. I love Morpheus bluntness and SBF optimism that JW chariot is going to fall of the cliff imminently!

As the title suggests, the latest in my life is that I’m finally free! Took the decision to quit meetings all together 2 months ago, and told family I have quit going. I decided against overloading them with apostate info, and just kept it as personal / doubts. It was never the less a very heated conversation that had to done in order for me to get a measure of closure.

Am I still a JW? On paper yes. I decided against the disassociation route to keep the communication with family open, albeit a very loose communication. Trying to dodge the elders in my congregation is another matter all together. I’ve had a few texts and missed calls, but expect them to come knocking soon. Going to keep my reasons strictly personal and if anything say I have doubts. I highly recommend this strategy to any one else in my situation.

I must say this moment feels very good. But I have regrets. Regrets that I didn’t take this all important last step many years ago. I believe I was still holding onto the beliefs of the JW, even if it was just the fringes, since I woke up 5+ years ago. But all that this reminds me is that the JW belief system goes down deep into the human consciousness. Once indoctrinated it’s very difficult to loosen those shackles.

But I’ve done it. I’ve finally made it out the other side. And I would like to thank this site and the people that post for helping me overcome the “deeply intrenched things” that have plagued me over the years.

The only question I really still have is, what’s next? And this is one question I’m happy not to know the answer to. I feel excited for life again, and I like the feeling of the unknown.

These years since waking up I’ve realised that life is what you make it. We do not get anything handed to us on a plate, and whatever thing of value there is, it’s worth fighting for.

I hope to stick around, and to join in discussions here and there. The Future for JWs is very much Weighed in the Balance. I feel I am in the middle of the Morpheus camp and the SBF camp. I feel we will see decline, but no where near a collapse. Maybe they will loose a million or 2 followers, but nothing catastrophic.

Lets wait and See.....

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Fantastic!!! Enjoy your freedom.

No, WT will never go away. It may decline but will not go away.

When the Elders come a knockin, just tell them that you are fine and if you need them, you know where to find them. You don't owe them anything.

If you have family in, WT will never go away. There will always be those reminders that the indoctrination runs deep.

Just remember, they are stuck in a cult, you are free!!! Enjoy!!!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Well done CoH. I hope your end-game in fading is peaceful.

One thing I would say is this - If you tell the elders (or any JW's) that you have doubts, you could be giving them an excuse to "try and help you." Don't offer any excuses or explanations!

Cut them all stone-dead by simply saying that you've got "private & personal issues to deal with which you can't discuss with anyone - at the moment, but it's good to know that you can call on them when needed." (never!)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CAMPAIGN:

Congratulations on your freedom from the JW religion! I’m sure it feels like a great weight was lifted from your shoulders. I remember the feeling.

As far as the debate as to whether or not the JW religion is going to collapse or stick around: I think it’s a little of both. The religion’s heyday is over. It has downsized and cut back on literature and selling off halls and kicking bethelites to the curb. Maybe there’s small growth here and there but these people may not stay once their eyes are opened.

It appears that over time the religion is morphing into something else and what may be there years from now will not resemble what is there today, IMO.

I don’t care really. I am just glad I’m out.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I had a PIMI aunt in her late 80s comment (after attending the latest RC) to me “that she can hardly keep up with the religion any more”. By the look on her face I could tell she meant this in a negative way. I think it’s the elderly who are struggling the most with the changes.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''As far as the debate as to whether or not the JW religion is going to collapse or stick around: I think it’s a little of both. The religion’s heyday is over''

The debate as to whether or not the JW religion will continue. But I concur, it's ''heyday'' is in fact over.

John Cedar's channel points to this fact. He points to the ''wafer thin'' magazines and why wouldn't the Borg put out PDF format instead?? He doesn't suggest the financial collapse of the WT but he begs the question of the complete reduction of spiritual ''food''. Interesting thoughts, nonetheless.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Liberty is glorious! No more constant surveillance from an imaginary sky-god! No more meetings or preaching lies and having to do what all the other lobotomised zombies do. Now free to think your own thoughts and know that they are as valid and worthy as anyone else's ideas. No more mental slavery! .............Well done CoH!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Congratulation! What's next? That depends on your circumstances of course. I'm glad you're excited for life again and enjoying the unknown. The acceptance of uncertainty is the key to enjoying life.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I left 35 years ago, and when I left, I remember a huge weight coming off my shoulders. Much happiness to you!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, congratulations on finally being free.

I’ve had a few texts and missed calls, but expect them to come knocking soon. Going to keep my reasons strictly personal and if anything say I have doubts. I highly recommend this strategy to any one else in my situation.

That was my method of resigning as an elder and my light explanation for family. But I want to recommend that once you stated your case and walked away, DO NOT DISCUSS ANY FURTHER WITH ELDERS. Don't reply more than 'I am fine, no thanks.' to any text or call at your door. Never invite them in. If you felt pressure to meet with thrm (to avoid being df'ed) meet in public or at the hall, so you feel free to leave at any moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit