Englishman Unplugged.

by Englishman 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi again Englishman:

We too saw the statue of liberty and went up to the top to look out over the city. That was quite an experience for this young girl from a small city. But to see it from the harbour on a ship like you...must have been an awesome sight.

We usually went to the overflow area at the Polo Grounds...I don't know why. We have pictures that the WTS provided, of the filled stadiums ...titled and dated and all that. Really something to see.

As for the ships chartered by the WTS and then going broke...that doesn't surprise me after reading the thread on the tight-fisted WTS's attitude with haggling over dollars when negotiating their "deals" for accomodations and such for assemblies. They expect that it's perfectly ethical to cause businesses to only break even or to even lose money, when JWs come for assemblies.

I'd like to email you my connections with the UK if I may, instead of posting them here....possible identification and all you know....still incognito.

Had Enough

• Englishman
    Englishman

"I'd like to email you my connections with the UK if I may, instead of posting them here....possible identification and all you know....still incognito."

Yiu are very welcome,

Englishman.

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Englishman for the biography. I was one of the ones who inquired re your background as a j-dub. Very brave of you to realize early on that you didn't believe it. I wish I had realized it much earlier.

I had an epiphany yesterday: that I was always afraid of being 'stupid' because of lacking a college education, while my husband had one. Then, I PROVED my stupidity by becoming a JW! Oh, the irony of it all! 'Live and learn!'

Pat

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet . . . "

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi Englishman, My ancestors were from Macclesfield. That's near you isn't it? The more I dig into my ancestry, the more I find deeper English roots, and it is all over England. My father's name is Maxfield (Macclesfield), and Mom's mother's name was Strong (or Stronge)from Taunton, Somersetshire, England. Both are old families who came to this country from England in the 1600's. Dad's were Quakers, fleeing persecution, but Mom's were just adventuresome. Dad's mothers family were Smiths, from Norwich, Norfolk, England. Mom's father was Irish, but I can't find them in Ireland.......yet.
    ..... http://home.earthlink.net/~herblst My genealogy stuff.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mulan,

Macclesfield is about 200 miles from me, however Taunton is the "County town" - capital, if you like, of Somerset. I live in the county of Somerset, about 18 miles from Taunton, which is now a magnet for steam engine buffs as it has one of the longest preserved steam railways in the UK. Here's a peek:

Englishman.

The JW religion is simply fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Loki
    Loki

I'm so glad I'm not the only who had trouble with those stupid "wheels within wheels" [8>]

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thanks for the picture!! Someday I will make it there myself. I've been to England twice, and haven't been to Macclesfield yet. Now that I am obsessed with my genealogy, no one will talk me out of taking the time to go there again. On our last trip, we drove right past the exit, and I complained loudly, but everyone insisted we press on to Scotland, so I gave in too, not wanting to bore everyone, with "my town". Never again, as they say.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Hey Englishman, I was there at Yankee Stadium in 1958 too. I was 10 1/2 yrs old. Maybe we passed each other and never even knew it!

Question for you though.....are you denying Ezekiel's vision or just the society's explanation of it?

• LDH
    LDH

ROFL, Englishman, isn't that the same picture the WBTS got busted for stealing from a Johnnie Walker ad? (They altered it slightly and put it on the cover of Awake).

• Englishman
    Englishman

LDH,

I see what you mean! Nope, that pic is the sunset over WSM beach from the end of my road.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit