How many would leave the organization right now if the shunning rule was removed?

by HiddenPimo 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Oh, so, you can't shun me if I leave,....

well, then FUCK IT!

I'm gone!!!!!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm guessing... half.

• blondie
    blondie

Plenty but I have found that jws don't need an official announcement to shun other jws, df'd, da'd, or not. They are allowed to mark them based on their own personal judgements.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed
    and they would not shun, how many would jump ship?

If they stopped shunning, how many that have left would return?

I wouldn't.

And to be honest, I wouldn't suddenly start talking to the people who shunned me. There is something wrong with their moral compass. I have never shunned anyone in my life. I have set and kept boundaries. But I have never cut anyone off and treated them like they were dead because they didn't comply with my opinions or beliefs. I have never cut anyone off and treated them like they were dead because of any rumored difference in beliefs. People who do that aren't healthy people. In fact, they are so unhealthy that they infect other people with their mental disease. They harm people all by themselves and just having their doctrine altered won't change how unhealthy, harmful, and abusive they are. They have to put in the time and the effort to make those changes themselves, just like all of us have had or do have to do. Then, they also need to make amends and apologize for their actions. They have to hold themselves accountable for their choices and their actions. I don't know about anyone else, but in my experience the people who shun aren't people who hold themselves accountable for their choice in that matter.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

We'll only know if they ever do do it.

Somehow, I doubt there are any plans to remove a powerful tool for getting the GB power, rock star status and money.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

As I said in your other post about it, I look at it another way. What if all of the people scared of being shunned took steps to force shunning by officially leaving? How many JWs would be forced to do something they may not be dehumanized enough to do by shunning people they love? What if having to shun would wake them up because it hurts and is so unnatural? What if their shunning may be the one button we could push that would force them to experience the ugliness they're involved in but we're too scared to do it?

I can say that having to shun my brother, and doing so for years, was the one constant thing pinging the cognitive dissonance in my mind and even before realizing that "The Truth" was a lie that one thing helped me realize how manipulative it all was. Waking up isn't often a one step process but that one thing was a constant source of just feeling like something wasn't quite right. My first act of rebellion, even before fully waking up, was taking a stand to see my brother again.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

As a guess, I'd say 50%.

Shunning is what keeps the org growing overall.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

OMG! Where else would we go?

just saying!

• jeffdavis
    jeffdavis

I bet 30 to 40 percent would fade out and stop going. Maybe more over time. The shunning is only to keep people in line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit