Hungry?? Don’t worry- I’ll feed you soon....

by stuckinarut2 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

How often have we heard JWs (and Christians in general) speak about how “God will step in SOON and fix earths woes”

A thought came to mind that I would love to calmly say to the person that says we should “wait on god”

If your child looks up at you with big eyes, and a pained look on his face and says “daddy, I’m so hungry. May I have something to eat please?” And your reply is “yes - soon”.

Your little boy then asks “when daddy- I’m starving”

Then you dont feed him for 4 days ; and yet reason- “that was soon- it was sooner than next year- what’s his problem?”

What sort of parent would we be?

So God says “Soon” and yet never says “when”

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Whoa. That's a pretty cool analogy. Someone call social services, Heaven's division.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Just a few JW words/phrases that have magical meaning to JW's only

overlapping generations

invisible presence

theocratic warfare

on the threshold

last days

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

just saying!

@eyeuse2badub You forgot "the Slave".

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I could never figure out how people who are suffering are told that one day God will put it right. Not now, but one day - and only if you accept this religion.

Whereas animals that are suffering get no promise of relief despite God apparently caring about every single little sparrow.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks @wake me!

yeah, it just struck me that “God” is the ultimate negligent parent when it comes to helping his children SOON.

@Lost in the fog I accidentally clicked the downvote button on you - sorry! Smashed that like button fifty times right after. Consider it my mortal attempt at righting the wrong. Immediately. Not soon.

Thing is with Witnesses, they believe that the solution to wrong-doers is annihilation, so that's why they say that God is being "fair" by giving us all time to change our path. I'm not a divinely gifted thinker by any means, but even I can think of solutions for this. And for starters, violence isn't the answer.

My own kid made that dawn on me in a really simple way. I saw him commit a wrongdoing (he hit another child at the playground). And I was halted in my tracks before I reached out to smack him and yell, "we don't hit!" The only thing two wrongs ever made was a fight.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah no one's coming to help us, the world is our problem and it's getting smaller all the time. Hungry people are at the mercy of radicalisation. People are running from war zones or poverty and ending up on our shores and who can blame them. It's no good waiting for God, Jesus or the tooth fairy.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Xanthippe, from your trinity of God, Jesus and the tooth fairy, ignore the first two because the tooth fairy is the only one which comes up with the goods.

But your point is right, there is no supercharged god-like father figure who will sort things out. This is the primary fallacy of religion and invites comparison with holding the naive mentality and viewpoint of a helpless child.

Religious belief infantilises people-- and that's exactly how cult leaders want their flocks to remain.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes, but....

...the rabidly believing JW will say....

...your personal suffering is only secondary to the big issue.

The "big issue" is "Jehovah's sovereignty".

Yes indeedy, "Jehovah's sovereignty" is more important than billions of people suffering for thousands of years.

Hmmm....I doubt that excuse would work with Child Protective Services either....but that doesn't stop JWs from using it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit