Facial Hair and J.W.'s

by Coop Man 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Coop Man
    Coop Man

I have always wondered why Witnesses are not "allowed" to have facial hair. When I asked a local elder just a few weeks ago (he had no idea I was inactive, just happened to bump into him while my parents were visiting from out of town), his explanation was that "In some countries, it is totally acceptable to have beards, goatees etc...., but in the U.S. of A., facial hair is a sign of rebellion. So, the local or territorial opinions on beards is what drives the local congregations policies." Interesting, I was always taught that Witnesses were to be separate from the world, would this not also mean that the IDEAS AND OPINIONS of the world should not sway the religions teachings one way or the other?

• Gerard
    Gerard

Yep. That Jesus guy was a rebel dude...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Pioneer sister in accepted "facial hair congregation"

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

They don't want to be mistaken for Orthodox Jews

They want to distance themself from Russell

Facial hair reminds to many on the Governing Body of their mothers.

Actually it is just a made up Watchtower rule that tests submission

• freeman
    freeman

Yes that is the explanation; it?s just a shame however that it doesn?t represent anything close to reality. My conservative and respected attorney sports a beard, as does my equally conservatives accountant, I wonder why. For that matter, my doctor and my former boss also sported varying amounts of facial hair. I don?t recall these folks ever being accused of being even remotely rebellious in any way, shape, or form.

I will admit that that back during the 1960?s, some considered goatees a bit rebellious, so I guess there is some historical basis for this elder?s belief. However what this elder and the other witnesses need to do is join us in the 21 st century. Here in our century, facial hair is a matter of individual preference, freedom, and choice. Oops, sorry I forgot, the witness don?t do freedom, or choice, and of course their preference is whatever the men in Brooklyn tell them it is. Sill me... my bad.

Freeman

• bebu
    bebu

All those doctors, professors, lawyers, counselors, etc, who sport facial hair are not witnesses, obviously, so they are not recognizing the WT authority.

Circular reasoning.

bebu

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Benjamin... yep, that's the only answer they have.

The only other answer I've gotten was: "Look at the pictures of brothers in the Watchtower and Awake. Do you see any of them with beards?" Which of course, is such a pathetically circular argument that I can't believe I actually heard it from a very intelligent man.

At this point, I think it's just become a tradition, a symbol of Watchtower conformism.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Depends on where you are. Besides, who said they were consistant?

• Oracroth
    Oracroth

Wow, I don't know how many of you used to be witnesses, but that's basic JW knowledge. The concept is that you are trying to be presentable in the utmost way for your area. In the United States having beards is not generally accepted as being well kept in the business world. Therefore JW's don't wear beards. If you did grow a beard as a JW then you would lose your privledges until you shaved it off. With privledges you are supposed to be a model of what a JW should be. If the president of the USA ends up growing a beard then it will be accepted for JW to wear a beard. I've talked to many elders about this and looked up info before I got disfellowshipped.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

First of all, Welcome Oracroth.

My ex had a moustache during the time he was serving as a Ministerial Servant. Is that viewed differently than a beard or goatee?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit