Has Anyone ever turned down to be on the Governing Body?

by Iamallcool 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Just wondering.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

It is said that A.H. MacMillan was in line to be the Society's president after Judge Rutherford's passing, but he declined - what is the proper term - the nomination? There was no G.B. per se in those days, even though the Organization today hints that there was, but the Presidency was the most powerful position in the Organization.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor
    Witnesss I can't imagine anyone turning down an offer like that. Outside the organization, it's like an offer to tour with a rock band, or become the CEO of a company. It's a once-in-a-lifetime offer that Jehovah's Witness elite chase for decades.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Hell! I still would NOT turn down the offer.

I LOVE first class travel.

I LOVE worship and adoration.

And I can bullshit a bullshitter and sell ya anything I need to sell ya.

Hallelujah! The End is Near! Keep those cards checks and letters coming!

• zeb
    zeb

Turn it down? This would, indicate some level of conscience. Such a person would immediately come under scrutiny and like rats in a barrel they would turn on the individual as they have others.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think their would be just like many of us I`m sure turned down being an Elder in a congregation it was just not something we wanted to be.

I was happy and content just being a MS without the added pressure / responsibility of being an Elder .

However you would never know about it , because that is not something they would advertise someone knocking back a GB nomination .

• sir82
    sir82

What Zeb said.

There are many, many layers of bureaucracy in the WT organization.

To keep climbing the ladder, you must progressively sell your soul, a little at a time, the higher you go.

By the time you get to the point where you might possibly be in contention for consideration on the GB, you have long ago abandoned anything resembling a conscience.

So it is highly unlikely that anyone nominated would turn it down.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

That's like turning down a job making $150,000 a year with benefits for life. Plus you'll never get fired and its easy work.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS tried to appoint Hayden Covington, lawyer for the WTS, to the board of directors (the functioning GB at that time).

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2001051#h=3:25-3:579

In 1940, Hayden C. Covington​—then the Society’s legal counsel and one of the “other sheep,” with the earthly hope—​was elected a director of the Society. (John 10:16) He served as the Society’s vice president from 1942 to 1945. At that time, Brother Covington stepped aside as a director to comply with what then seemed to be Jehovah’s will​—that all directors and officers of the Pennsylvania corporation be anointed Christians. Lyman A. Swingle replaced Hayden C. Covington on the board of directors, and Frederick W. Franz was elected vice president.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Plus you'll never get fired and its easy work.

Never get fired? You need to do some more research on this.

Try to find the fate the following three GB members: Raymond Franz, Ewart Chitty and Leo Greenlees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit