I am agreeing with Trump on the need to Nationalize issues that affect the entire nation.

by RubaDub 11 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm generally not a Trump fan but I do agree that things that affect the entire country should be handled in a centralized manner. Trump is stating that he will dictate when the States can open up again. Many governors, Dems and Reps, are fighting that saying that they have the power, not the President.

Of course, the Constitution puts a great deal of power in the hands of each State. But I agree with him on how these Governors want to dictate how each of their fiefdoms work. So to get anything done, you currently have to appease 50 different Governors. China would never accept that. If they want to get something done on a national level, it is dictated from the top.

The same applies to other national issues such as elections. Having 50 separate "national" elections just doesn't make sense when a President is being chosen to represent the entire country. Have one national election and that is it.

Many times I do not agree with Trump but I think States have too much power in the national scenario and constitutionally should be limited. Let the States dictate local issues, not national ones. Trump said, "I'm the President" and that he has to right to overrule the Governors (which technically he cannot do constitutionally but should be able to do).

Rub a Dub

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Trump has the power of the "purse strings" of the Federal Government. The Feds are dumping TRILLION$ into the economy right now to prevent this "recession" from going to "depression". If a Governor wants their State to receive generous Federal funding, they had better kiss Trump's ring ass.

• sir82
    sir82
    I think States have too much power in the national scenario and constitutionally should be limited.

Well thank [the deity of your choice] that the constitution addresses the issue!

Amendment 10:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about enforcing laws already on the books? Such as laws against companies that collude and create ongoing shortages of critical supplies so they can have us under martial law and RFID chipped? There are only three paper companies that collude to create ongoing toilet paper, facial tissue, and paper towel shortages. Hoarding is responsible for creating the shortage, but these three companies are responsible for keeping it going. And their PR videos documenting (using outdated footage) how they are making more mean nothing. If they are making so much toilet paper and facial tissue, why don't I see more on the shelves?

This problem is everywhere. How many companies are responsible for ALL of our bleach, disinfectant products, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, and general cleaning supplies? Why are they not putting more on the shelves? People panic buying and hoarding may have created the shortage in the first place, but these companies have put all their efforts in displaying months- or years outdated footage of production lines instead of putting products back on the shelves. People do not have the money to waste eternally buying toilet paper, bleach, and disinfectant products. Once they get their 20 packs of toilet paper, where are they going to put the 21st pack? And where are they going to put their 51st case of bleach or disinfectant spray?

We already have the law on the books to break up these collusions. They need to be enforced.

• shadow
    shadow

However, he doesn't want national procurement of medical supplies during a pandemic. That is up to governors.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

States do have some power in these cases, but I’m getting confused, I thought the states (eg. Cuomo) was blaming Trump for not telling the states what to do. Now that he is, they’re saying he can’t do that.

I don’t think the Federal government should have any such powers, even if for the good today because the intent is good-hearted, it will be misused the minute someone less scrupulous is in office.

States should and always had the rights and duties to protect their population, the Federal government cannot make a policy that uniformly applies between states, because the US is too large and diverse. Some towns in Texas still haven’t been hit by the virus whereas 50% of the cases are in NYC. Shutting down the country for another 6-12 months until NY gets its act together is insane.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@WTWizard: Hoarding happens because everybody simultaneously wants an otherwise common good. Stores need time to restock, they don’t have the space to just stock tons of stuff. If you go early to the store, you will find anything you need, nobody has been shorted on toilet paper. In my area, even toilet paper is currently stocked well.

And for all those products there are plenty of suppliers. Most supermarkets have at least half a dozen brands of each of the items you list and you can find more online.

• caves
    caves
    The same applies to other national issues such as elections. Having 50 separate "national" elections just doesn't make sense when a President is being chosen to represent the entire country. Have one national election and that is it.

Fromwww.usa.gov> elections.

In the Electoral College system, each state gets a certain number of electors based on its total number of representatives in Congress. Each elector casts one electoral vote following the general election; there are a total of 538 electoral votes. The candidate that gets more than half (270) wins the election.

Looks national to me. Or something!

What an interesting game you play Rub. Do you have to shift sideways on each ass cheek when you straddle that fence your on? Or is there one side you prefer over the other?
    That's a joke. (last sentence of your bio)

I'm really not sure what to think after this last few days. I have opinions and ironically in line with much of what trump talks about. But there are some fundamental things that go against a particular values I carry.

I do prefer my right side of the ass cheek when I sit on a fence.lol

Interesting times.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jw leaks has a thread about this "Disunited States Of America" that i and others have commented on .

Just to put my 2 cents worth in again : Donald Trump as President of the United States Of America is recognized as leader of the free world and at his word as the Commander in chief of the Armed Forces he can involve his country in a war anywhere in the world ,without any input from all or any states in the USA.

Yet in this case coronavirus he cant get what he wants done and is accused of being a dictator ?

Is he a dictator when he takes his country to war ? that also involves his allies ?

He`s a leader of the free world but can`t get what he wants done in his own country and obviously not regarded as a leader in his own country .?

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

@smiddy Trump turned his back to the free world, and made new friends in North Korea and Russia.

The free world you are speaking of is maybe country side USA.

So, all has changed and every country is at their own now, thanks to Donald.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit