The Reasons for Cart Witnessing

by Simon 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I am a medical courier. Any time I see literatrash in a lobby, waiting room, etc., I feign interest if anyone is looking, just grab it if no one is paying attention, ..... then practice recycling.....right into the shredder.

Snakes

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Wasn’t it Pliny that wrote to the Emporer asking what to do with theses Christians because he didn’t know who they were even though he held posts all over the empire of high cop and prosecutor , etc. Then when he wrote the letter he was I believe governor of what we call Turkey today? Maybe I thinking of someone else but this was I believe several centuries after Jesus time and the Christian movement was still so small he didn’t know anything about them.

It seems to me that this religion was irrelevant until after Constantine started to support it and then was made the state religion by another empower.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Maybe that is the beauty of the carts - peer privileges that are only obtained if you become a pioneer. More pioneers - sell more carts - more inflated hours - WT gets to broadcast more hours spent in ministry - regular JW's believe all of it because there are more pioneers.

Pioneers that were ready to give up - now can go to a park and relax - more bragging rights because they undoubtedly count time from the moment they drag the cart out/arrive at a park. Even if there are several others and they have to wait their turn - it's all good.

My sister and her husband go to San Fran - they get to see the tourists. Maybe they even go around the sights - tho I wouldn't know because they don't talk with me.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses that man ( male or female ) carts are guilty of lying to their God they worship claiming they are witnessing for him and his son Christ Jesus ,when they don`t have any conversation with a non JW person in all the time that they are manning these carts.

They are lying when they put in their reports.

I have heard it said , just by our being their is a witness on its own ?

If that`s the case Churches of Christendom are witnesses of their faith .

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I still think this 'Cart Witnessing' thingee is going to be short-lived! There are way too many negatives about it and next to zero positive things to say about it!

As unproductive as the door to door work has been...at least the rank & file could talk about magazine placements, have door step studies, do return visits and able to engage in conversation even if was a few seconds of a presentation with a homeowner. But this sitting, eating (getting fat), staring & sipping on some beverage...man that gets old. And my understanding about JWs talking to one another while manning these carts...Mother WT says that's a no no!

• stillin
    stillin

I think it's pathetic to see the cart people standing there, all lonely and ineffective. My guess is that most of the people who stop to talk are only doing it out of sympathy. Or they have so little going on in their lives that they are just dealing with their own boredom.

Not much of a basis for appealing to the masses.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If Jehovahs Witneses manning a cart is all they need to do to be "a witness to Jehovah" these days then surely the "dog collar" worn by vicars means vicars have been "witnessing" since 1884.

In fact any religious garment could do that job so if JWs just wore a baseball cap with the JW logo on it when out that could be classed as "witnessing". Look at the hours they would clock up. They could be witnessing full time then if wearing the identifying cap while at work if such caps were allowed, out shopping or in fact anywhere there were people. A JW sticker would be witnessing.

When going d2d some days there were no people anywhere but then we were "witnessing to the angels" just by being out.

By the ever decreasing standard of effort required to be considered "witnessing to jehovah" wearing a logo will soon be enough no matter what activity you are doing.

What a merchandising opportunity for the GB to replace dwindling donations. Forget magic underwear. Sports gear, baby strollers, jumpers, coats etc etc. All with the JW logo attached. The list of items it could be displayed on is endless no longer limited to just buildings.

Stripes or stars could be added to clothing to denote ms/elder/pioneer status etc.

Oops I forgot. There is no hierarchy in that religion. :p

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Like park table witnessing, I look at it as an incentive for loyal, dutiful JWs to remain that way... pay your dues, demonstrate your devotion, and you get an easy duty.

Not to mention that it theoretically mitigates any accusations that "pedophiles are knocking on your doors trying to recruit your kids".

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

A friend of mine has a take about the carts that I find interesting. He sees it as a way to reinforce the us vs them complex by sticking these people out in crowds while essentially remaining invisible other than with their partner. So it reinforces both the us and the them. It's kind of more isolating even with all the people around and makes them rely on their partner out there more. I can see that as an effect of it.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I've noticed the two ladies that I speak with regularly have cooled off when I see them in my town, its just a Hi or a nod now, I wonder if my subterfuge has been blown?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit