I got Fired!

by missylissy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Missy,

It's too bad they goofed and didn't notice your birthdate before they hired you. What a disappointment! I don't know about where you live, but here in Alberta, the regulations for time and hours worked is quite different for 15 and under and 16 and up. Many employers are reluctant to hire anyone under 16 because of the hassle. Around here, the clothing stores seem to hire more of of the under 15 year olds, because they are not open after 9pm.

You'll get another, better job, I'm sure.

• Smyler
    Smyler

Children under sixteen years

(2) No person shall employ a child under sixteen years of age in work of any kind in

(a) an industrial undertaking;

(b) the forest industry;

(c) garages and automobile service stations;

(d) hotels and restaurants;

(e) the operating of elevators;

(f) theatres, dance halls, shooting galleries, bowling-alleys, billiard and pool rooms;

(g) work or class of work in which the employment of a child under sixteen years of age is prohibited by regulation.

Thats the Nova Scotia Employment Act. Man, being a elevator operator must be a really hard job if you have to be 16! Shera said that she knows people who work under 16, but they must be working in retail, as that is legal.

Again babe, I'm really sorry, but its not your fault! Its the out-of-date Nova Scotian legal system.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Smyler,

I know that there is even more rules here, to do with how late at night they can work and if they can be alone working at night. If I recall, the regulations tightened here after something bad happened to some 14 year old girl who worked alone in a convenience store late at night, or something like that.

Most of my daughter's friends, who are about the same age as Missy, work in retail clothing stores...and spend lots of their paycheck there. lol

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

When I was coming up, you could be working at your FAMILY'S business as long as they wanted you there, which meant for me: all summer 9 a.m. til 9 p.m., except for meeting nights, and sunday; and during the year all weekend. Bluck. I think it's different now, even for families. This was back in the late 60's early 70's. My Dad paid me $4 per day. He was a big spender. LOL!

CG

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Any of you Canadians know if they should have handed her the check at the time of separation?

• flower
    flower

Aww man that sucks. Sorry Missy! But look on the bright side...at least you are only 15! You could be 31 like me!! .

• Panda
    Panda

Sorry Missy, They should give you free meals for a year or something for the mental anguish alone! Wow 15 is a great age, so much ahead of you with the borg behind you. Can you work retail?

• Beans
    Beans

Thats whacky man! How about collecting empties!

But seriously, what a stupid rule eh!

• morty
    morty

(((((missy)))))

Ya know, it really sucked that this happened to you....When they let you go, you should have had a pay check in hand...They also only have 7 days to give you seperation papers...You are also entiled to holiday pay....You can call the labour board and find out if you are entiled to more money because of the way they let you go...Look in your local phone book, under goverment.....If you have ANY problems, they will call your employer for you....I am pretty sure they will have to give you some kind of compensation fee....call and find out right away because there may be a time frame.....good luck Missy.....you will be 16 shortly and another job will come up soon......your education is more important right now anyways.....maybe you could take up some babysitting for now...if you were in my area you could sit for me.....pm me, maybe I could help you out.....

morty

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sorry to hear that, missy! Didn't they see your age on your application?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit