How many people thought about suicide after they were disfellowshipped

by Lee Marsh 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I know I was suicidal before I was disfellowshipped. And it got worse after I left. One night a friend told me that he went home the night before and wasn't sure if he would ever hear from me again.

My sister tried many times before finally succeeding in 2005.

At a Meetup group I attended all 9 people in attendance said they had thought about suicide after they were disfellowshipped or left and experienced the shunning.

The impact on a person's life it massive. You immediately lose every person, your way of life, even your God.

Some people do it and the Witness family covers up the really reason for the death. Or they say it was because the person felt so guilty that they took their own life. Witnesses would never admit that it had anything to do with their own family shunning them.

If you have been on this board for a while then you probably know there has been one or more people here who did take their own life. It was heart-breaking for many here who knew them.

So did you think about it?

Was it related to being disfellowshipped and then shunned?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I never knew any JW that committed, or attempted to commit, suicide after getting DFed.

Active JWs - thats a different story. I knew two active JWs that successfully committed suicide while still in - and in pretty deep. Although, you never know. One was an elder. Had a big family too. Very sad.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Witnesses would never admit that it had anything to do with their own family shunning them.

This is true. Also incredibly sad and amazing.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

not exactly a matching answer--as i wasnt d/f--i had resigned years before--but attended now and then to appease the wife. However it was announced i couldnt be df as i wasnt a jw--but was to be treated as apostate and treated the same.

Far from suicidal--i was ecstatic--it was just what i wanted. Finally free of the madness. It wasnt till a few years later that my kids shunned me. But that was because of the control freak actions of their mother.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

"So did you think about it?

Was it related to being disfellowshipped and then shunned?"

Yes and yes.

"My sister tried many times before finally succeeding in 2005.

At a Meetup group I attended all 9 people in attendance said they had thought about suicide after they were disfellowshipped or left and experienced the shunning."

The couple decades I was in, there were four suicides associated with just that one congregation, some related to shunning. There were other attempted suicides I knew about in other congregations.

"The impact on a person's life it massive. You immediately lose every person, your way of life, even your God."

There were a few people I knew who did not follow the JWBorg shunning procedures and kept doing their best to encourage me in small ways after I was disfellowshipped, but they had to be covert about it or else they would have consequences. My husband is still in and if the congregation found out other "JWs" were talking to me, they could get in trouble. Some of them had other family responsibilities and had to balance loyalties.

While it does change things in a shocking way, being disfellowshipped has many blessings. And even though the JWBorg people like to say that disfellowshipped people are "separated from God" they are liars about that. You don't lose God. I am closer to Him than ever. He's the One who got me through the darkest moments, and He continues to get me through them now.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LEE MARSH:

So much tragedy and I am sorry for anybody who was touched by it!

By the way, I am a long-time ‘Fader’... However, I have heard of suicides by Witnesses who were not disfellowshipped.. I don’t want to imagine what was in their minds and what drove them to this desperation.

What am I supposed to think about any particular religion/group/movement that is known to have this tragic thing happen? Is this a coincidence? For so many reasons I am Glad I’m out and have no family there.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

The Whole Jw thing is toxic. When you leave or get kicked out, you need to detox right away. Talk to a good worldly friend or someone in mental health. This group is very dangerous.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@ Easy prompt

may i ask--were you and your husband in the JW before you got wed ?

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

(I will private message you, @stanlivedeath🙂)

Some disfellowshipped people don't have access to a lot of outside help.

For instance, if one mate is abusive and still in the JWBorg, and the other mate is disfellowshipped and there are children, the congregation will support the abusive JWBorg mate, even providing legal assistance to the abusive JWBorg member in an attempt to prevent the disfellowshipped mate from having full custody of the children if she tried to get away.

Also there are times the disfellowshipped mate is financially cut off because the abusive JWBorg member withholds finances and an opportunity to work as punishment for the disfellowshipped mate. The disfellowshipped mate may have to stay "hostage" to the JWBorg member in order to protect the children. The abusive JWBorg member may also prevent the disfellowshipped mate from cultivating relationships outside the home in other ways.

The congregation elders and Bethel promote such "hostage" situations. Suicide is never the answer, but for some in such situations, the idea of being able to go to sleep to get away from the torture is very tempting.

The JWBorg dictators are bloodguilty for creating such situations and promoting abuse and shunning. They are evil, and many, many people will rejoice and feel free once they are removed from their positions of power.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

(I hope any of those crushed by the horrid disfellowshipping doctrine or by the ungodly pressure of the WTBT$ or by any of life's anxieties get the comfort they need to endure the pain. We only have to get through one minute at a time. Suicide is never the answer, and the sun always comes up eventually💖.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBRanfmz6s

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit