Hip replacement on Monday. Wish me luck.

by GrreatTeacher 43 Replies latest watchtower medical

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Vanderhoven, thank you. If not Tuesday then maybe a little later in the week!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Ron W., nice to hear about your golfing clients. I don't golf, but it sure would be nice to even take a walk around the neighborhood. I see the daily dog walkers out the front window and I'm very, very jealous!

Peacefulpete, I WILL just do it! Looking forward to PT.

TonusOH, I never thought I'd need a new hip at 52, but after trying everything else, it just came down to either accepting my diminished life or getting out there and LIVING with gusto. You'll know when.

• LV101
    LV101

Good luck and smooth recovery GreatTeacher. Seems to be quite a popular surgery these days w/great success. I've friend who has had both hips replaced as well as knee surgeries past few mos. She's qualified now to be on the 'Bionic Woman' list.

Soon you'll be enjoying a pain-free life!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Birbie, thank you for the good wishes! I've had quite a unique experience with refusing blood transfusions that make me sure I will get one if I need one. My parents nearly died in a serious car accident. My father's entire pelvis was shattered and he needed to hang around the hospital for 5 days in pain before they could arrange a bloodless surgery instead of getting the emergency surgery he needed. Needless suffering and poorer result. My mother had a head injury with a terrible concussion and much blood loss. She had a terrible time healing because she didn't have enough blood cells to heal her body. It stretched her recovery out several months and she could have been well in a few weeks. Needless suffering and still has concussion symptoms today. Also they were both recovering and couldn't take care of each other. Needless burden on their kids for months. And the Hospital Liason Committee swarmed like vultures at the hospital, having them sign paperwork. They were there not as support, but as enforcers. I've washed my hands of it. They have the right to make their own medical decisions, even if they're terrible, but they should consider the terrible witness they were giving to everyone in the medical community. I thanked the doctors and nurses for saving their lives despite themselves.

But, beyond that, thank you sincerely for your good wishes and I hope to check in within a few days with very good news!

SeaBreeze, you're a dear. Thank you!

Listener, good advice. I am doing everything they are asking including going off ibuprofen a week in advance, using an antibiotic ointment in my nostrils 5 days in advance and showering with Hibiclens antibacterial soap (and staying soaped up for 10 minutes!) the morning before, the evening before and the morning of my surgery. I also have to drink 10 ounces of Gatorade 4 hours before my surgery and I just found out my arrival time is 6:30 am to a hospital 30 minutes away! I guess I'll be getting up at 2:30 am to drink it and won't be getting a good night's sleep. But, I am following ALL the directions! I'm listening, Listener!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

LV101, I actually asked the surgeon to see the implant and it is a metal monstrosity. There was a spiky part at the end with a notch in it and my husband asked the doctor what that was for. I knew. I told him that the spike went into the leg bone and the notch was the place where the hammer hits it. The doctor said I was correct! I've gotten a lot more sympathy from him since then! Thank you for the good wishes.

• LV101
    LV101

GT -- that's a gold star for you and doc knows you've done your homework.

• Listener
    Listener

About your husband, how will he cope? Are you preparing and freezing meals or will he be a big help in caring for himself and you?

That's one big negative about the internet and that's not being able to give a helping hand to others from time to time.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

My mom had dual hip replacements during covid. She's in her 70's and it was amazing for her! Good luck!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I hope all goals well. It sounds like you are very engaged with your treatment plan, which is exactly what you need to be doing. Please do let us know how it went.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Hip replacement surgery is common nowadays, Iā€™m sure you will come through just fine! šŸ™šŸ»šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘šŸ™šŸ»šŸ’•

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit