Hip replacement on Monday. Wish me luck.

by GrreatTeacher 43 Replies latest watchtower medical

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

As the title says I'm having a total hip replacement on Monday. The pain has grown over the years and now I'm using a cane to walk.

After steroid injections and physical therapy, it was decided that a total hip replacement is appropriate. Ibuprofen was keeping me somewhat functional but now I'm off of that for the week before surgery so as not to cause excessive bleeding. I hurt really bad right now!

I have a walker ready for after surgery. I've cleared the floors and made sure there's clear walkways between bed, toilet, and kitchen. I bought a new recliner that's firmer and sits taller than the old one my husband bought for his back surgery in 2012.

Anyone been through this before and survived to tell about it? Any advice? I'm told I'll be using a Walker for 2 weeks, then transition back to a cane. I'll be feeling really good after 6 weeks. Do you think this is accurate?

I like my surgeon. I'm having it done in a facility that's part of the University of Maryland health system. And, most importantly, if I need blood, I will accept it! I'm intellectually confident, but still have some anxiety. I'm told that's normal.

Thank you all for the company. I don't post a lot, but I read a lot. If I don't check in again any time soon, have a nice Christmas and a happy new year.

GT

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Sorry to hear you are in pain GreatTeacher and I really hope the operation is a success.

Haven't had the op, but a few clients in work have over the last few years.

They've all come out of their ops well.

Two guys I see very regularly aged 69 and 78 are now back playing golf regularly and say the op was well worth it.

Best Wishes

Ron.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Neighbor lady had it done 3 years ago, she just came back from bowling competition. So, I guess it was a good choice.

They often say the results are up to the patient's determination and willingness to do the post-op therapy. So, just do it. Good luck.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Hope it goes well! I wonder sometimes if I won't need one myself within the next 10-15 years.

• Bribie
    Bribie

All the best with that Great Teacher. Some initial pain and anxiety but after the operation you will reap a better and more productive life. Having a blood transfusion definitely not a good idea though! I recall my father back about 30 years ago had an internal bleed and was told he needed a transfusion. The doctors said he was likely to die without one.

He refused and the doctors went ahead and respected his wishes. The doctors and nurses were amazed how well he recovered and he lived on to be 86. Anyway stay positive and confident as your surgeon no doubt has years of experience and highly skilled in his profession. Let us know how you go mate!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Oh dear. Praying for a speedy recovery!

• Listener
    Listener

Sorry to hear about your pain and hoping for a quick recovery

Following the Doctors instructions is the way to go and although that sounds obvious it is surprising that some people don't and end up with unnecessary complications.

Wishing you all the best.

• titch
    titch

GrreatTeacher: I don't know what your age is; I am 69 years of age. I had the right hip replaced in February 2020, when I was 66. And, I had the left one replaced in October of 2022, when I was 68. Both times, I had no problems. I don't know what physicians practice in your area, but here in Southern California, MOST surgeons perform the operation in about 60 to 90 minutes, and the procedure is complete! My physician/surgeon INSISTS that his patients get up and walk around the hospital hallways that very day, and leave the hospital that very day. Due to personal circumstances, I insisted that the hospital find me a room, to stay in overnight, for observation only. So, by the next day, I was ready to return home. But, I experienced very little to no pain at all. (I had a relative who found that fact to be unbelievable, but it was true!) Prior to the operation, I was prescribed various pain-killing medications, to be used ONLY if I needed them. (It turns out, I didn't need any pain meds at all, including Hydrocodone, which is opioid-based.) My own personal advice to anyone is, DON"T take any Hycrocodone, unless it is absolutely necessary! If you don't need it, don't take it! So, I'm sure that you'll have a successful hip-replacement surgery. Best Regards to you. --- Titch

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

We will be looking to hear a good report on Tuesday GrreatTeacher!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Titch, glad to hear you are doing well!

I'm (only) 52, so I'm not expecting complications or difficulties based on age. More worried that given my age and the amount of disability that we've missed something and when they get in there it's not just osteoarthritis but something else going on. Also, will I last longer than the implant? My doctor said about 20 to 25 years, so will I need a new one at age 78?

Otherwise, yes, your experience sounds like what I've been prepped for. About 90 minutes in surgery, will be up, moving and in PT the day of the surgery. I was offered same day discharge, but I opted to spend a night which is usual for my surgeon. My insurance has agreed to pay (probably the biggest hurdle) and I'd prefer to transition out of anesthesia and into oral meds before going home. When my husband had spinal surgery he had some complications and ended up having to spend a week in the hospital, so that is my experience with surgery so I'm a little reticent.

If I can do it with only ibuprofen, I will. My hip is not the only pain I have and right now everything hurts so I'm missing it! When I go in to register we will discuss a pain relief plan. Thank you for the caution on narcotics. I've been through that with my husband and am very familiar with them.

I'm so glad to hear it was so easy for you! I can't wait to get up and DO things again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit