California passes bill lessening penalty for pedophiles having sex with willing kids.

by mickbobcat 70 Replies latest social current

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Diog - Doesn't this law permit a 24 year old to have anal sex with a 14 year old? In the rest of the world we call that pedophile rape.

i agree Cofty. But surely that’s a slippery slope argument? The judges are there to adjudicate - work through the subtleties of each case.

However I agree ten years is too big of a gap. Five years is far more appropriate.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

A few years ago we attended the 60th anniversary party of a JW couple who were very good friends of my family. When they married, he was 25 and she was 15. My wife was SHOCKED. She told him that today he'd be arrested. (Yes they really were from Arkansas but I'm pretty sure they were not cousins.)

• cofty
    cofty
    surely that’s a slippery slope argument?

Sometimes fears of slippery slopes are justified.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

age of consent... changes with time, locality, religion, and culture.

yet we are biologically the same humans for thousands of years... and our bodies are prepared to reproduce and start to become aroused... for sure not at 18... however some are not mentally prepared to have babies even at 50.

interesting to see people all emotional for a law that has nothing to do in the area where they live.

ok guess what...in muslim countries there are areanged marriages with minors and husbands constantly rape the adult wives... and their laws protect them..

so lets riot and protest... wait some dont like that either.... lets attack them and force democracy for their own good..

religious morality... is a sign of how primitive we still are.

the pleasure from the sexual act is the lure life uses to reproduce... thats a fact.

as life span of humans grow we think we should also expand the stages... childhood... adolescense etc

adulthood is set by our life experiences and circumstances.. yet we think that one rule will apply to all.

sex is for adults only, sex is for married people only, sex is for people of different sex only, sex is only with another human being. sex is 2 people only. sex is for people of the same age. same is for people with 2 years 3 months difference.... breaking any of these rules was,is and might be a sin or a crime at some point in some place.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

The age of consent is not pulled out of someone rear end anymore. We have child labor laws, we have science that shows that people under the age of 18 are not mentally capable of having a developed or fully developed brain. If the liberals are correct on this than if you are 10 and murder you go to big boy jail. They never think for a second that it cuts both ways. But a democrat and brains are a hard combination to find.

• Earnest
    Earnest

mickbobcat : If the liberals are correct on this than if you are 10 and murder you go to big boy jail.

WIC 602 (b)(1).says that "Any minor who is under 12 years of age when he or she is alleged to have committed [murder] is within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court, which may adjudge the minor to be a ward of the court.

Whether the liberals are correct on this or not.

• Simon
    Simon
    Well, apart from the death penalty part I think this is an interesting approach.

I am a fan of the death penalty for certain crimes but punishments have to be equitable. That is, if a prosecutor withholds or falsifies evidence in a case that carries the death penalty, then they should face the death penalty themselves as a result.

I believe that would go a long, long way to avoiding one of the main arguments against the death penalty which is past miscarriages of justice and "what if the verdict is wrong".

Just as if a prosecutor knowingly keeps someone locked up - they should be imprisoned, nowhere near a ballot for president.

And right away it also becomes clear how hard it is to fix a reasonable, coherent and consistent approach in words.
    For example, in your approach a 17 year old isn't considered mature enough to consent to sex with a 25 year old, and at the same time the death penalty is considered a proper punishment for other (or maybe even the very same!) 17 year olds.

Yes, but a 17 year old having sex with someone is very different to someone having sex with a 17 year old, when the age gap is 6+ years in each direction.

You'd expect things to be relaxed somewhat toward the higher limits but still should have the capability to punish people who have taken advantage of someone through a position of authority etc...

• pistolpete
  • JoenB75
    JoenB75

The US is much rougher on child abuse than western Europe. The enemies of western civilisation clearly want to change that, both liberal democrats and muslims

• Earnest
    Earnest

Interesting how they deal with things in Nigeria.

The Washington Post reported yesterday (09/17/20) that men convicted of rape will face surgical castration, and anyone raping a child under age 14 will face the death penalty. A woman convicted of rape of a child under 14 faces the removal of her fallopian tubes. The state’s newly amended penal code also says a person convicted of raping someone over age 14 will face life imprisonment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit