Massachusetts backs gay marriage

by ignored_one 60 Replies latest social current

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Isn't it ironic that those who scream the loudest that homosexuals are sinful, promiscuous perverts are the same ones who would deny us the stability of marriage?

• flower
    flower

I live in MA and believe me they are not 'backing gay marriage' by any means. The courts have found barring it unconstitutional but most of the people of this state including the Governor are very much anti-gay. This is from todays paper and pretty much echos the sentiments of I would say 80 percent of the people of this state...

"I agree with 3,000 years of recorded history. I disagree with the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts," Republican Gov. Mitt Romney said. "Marriage is an institution between a man and a woman ... and our constitution and laws should reflect that."

This is an anti-gay state regardless of what the supreme court has ruled. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months. The state has six months to rectify the fact that they are now breaking the constitutional rights of people by barring same sex marriages.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

My only question is, do our civil rights, as gays and lesbians, come down to a popularity contest?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    In another finding, most Americans, 55 percent, said they felt homosexuality was a sin, while 33 percent did not. Nine in 10 highly committed white evangelicals and nearly three-quarters of black Protestants said homosexual behavior was sinful.
    My only question is, do our civil rights, as gays and lesbians, come down to a popularity contest?

I suppose it always will. While liberals are more likely to support gay marriages than conservatives (exception here) you aren't seeing a viable candidate making gay marriages a priority. Until the opinion polls support homosexuals and gay marriages it's unlikely to happen on a national scale.

I am currently dating a guy who is pretty special and I can picture myself marrying him. If he were a woman and marriage rights were denied us I would be livid. Well, I'm livid anyway.

Jim you are so correct. The community is called promiscious yet given no opportunity to marry. So in other words, according to the bible thumpers gays and lesbians are forced to "live in sin".

Sometimes I have to wonder if their belief in an unseen enity is just an excuse to expouse hatred.

• alirobbi
    alirobbi

I saw the Gov. being interviewed just a bit ago. He is very much opposed to same sex marriage. He was then asked if he would support civil unions and his response was, well I think we all know that means the same thing as marriage with all th same rights as marriage. I feel marriage and all that goes with it should be between a man and a woman. All the time he was grinning.

I think this just shows that for many of the opposers this is not just about not wanting it to be called marriage, that they believe they have more of a right to have the legal rights then do gays and lesbians.

• willy_think
    willy_think

being from MA i thought i would offer my thoughts.

I think we should do away with all civil marriages and replace it with civil unions for all. a marriage is a religious union that the state licenses, maby the state should never have done that in the first place. a man and a wife can be married in the eyes of any church and joined in civil union in the eyes of the state with out conflict. everyone is happy.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm a republican and I say, let 'em get married, and then they can enjoy the benefits of alimony payments and divorce rates and rebellious teenagers and trying maintain a picket fence when you've got a dog...

I'm sorry, I can't understand why they want to get married so bad, but if they do, let 'em...

CZAR

• alirobbi
    alirobbi

Czar

With the exception of the alimony and divorce many of the same sex couples already participate in rebellious teens, fences and dogs. The reason we want our partners to be recognized legally, is because we want to have the same legal rights as straight couples. That means, being able to get health benefits, keeping inheritence rights, being able to make medical decisions for partners who can't, even to be able to go to the hospital and not be kept out because we are not considered family. Just to name a few.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Ah. Now I see. Yeah, I'd hate to think that somebody would keep me out a hospital room where my czarina was sick. In fact, I think I'd have to exercise my second amendment rather vigorously if they tried.

Health benefits are very important, and I think that it is becoming a national security issue that everyone has them - but that's another thread.

Okay. You've got my vote. Get a referendum up and I'll support it.

Besides, this might help pull the teeth out of the Moral Majority and I can have my Republican party back again.

CZAR

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Rather than granting a "special right", as the ultraconservative right-wing would have people believe

Helllloooooo, where have you been? Every Democratic candidate has stated they are against gay marriage.... domestic "partnerships", Yes, but they've all come out against it as "marriage". Not everything is an ultraconservative right-wing "conspiracy"..... scheesch..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit