Circuit Assembly Experiences

by Tallon 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tallon
    Tallon

Many years ago, in the congregation I attended at the time, there was a brother who had endured bad health over many years. As result he underwent a number of operations - a couple being life saving operations.

At one or two circuit assemblies he was interviewed on the platform where he related how he endured ill health.

For me, I felt very uncomfortable listening to his experience and, I actually felt embarrassed for him because I have never been one to speak of any health issues I had, let alone publicise it from the platform. Don't get me wrong, I did have a lot of empathy for him because of what he went through.

How did you feel when you listened to experiences which, for some reason or another, made you uncomfortable?

• hoser
    hoser

I know a lot of experiences were embellished to shame Jws into doing more.

• jws
    jws

I think that's your own personal thing. You're apparently very private and feel health is a private and personal issue. So you would feel uncomfortable sharing.

I honestly don't mind. We are inundated with stories. Not only from the platform, but from the news, movies, documentaries, etc. Every aspect of people's lives. And if people were too uncomfortable to watch, they wouldn't get ratings and we wouldn't see them anymore.

What I think would be uncomfortable, but maybe necessary, might be for somebody to open up on the platform how they were abused by an elder as a little girl. And how the elders wouldn't listen because there weren't two witnesses and told them not to go to the authorities. Now that's an uncomfortable story people in the audience need to hear.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What I think would be uncomfortable, but maybe necessary, might be for somebody to open up on the platform how they were abused by an elder as a little girl. And how the elders wouldn't listen because there weren't two witnesses and told them not to go to the authorities. Now that's an uncomfortable story people in the audience need to hear.

If only that could happen! Maybe some prayers for that to....oh shit...nobody listening...forget that idea.

• steve2
    steve2

JW health experiences have always been fodder for the platform. They are commonplace - yet your example makes it seem like they are rare.

Have you seen the latest convention videos where JWs with health problems are virtually heralded at once as pitied and super spiritual? And, despite their benefiting from advances in medicine and life-saving operations, Jehovah - and not the health professionals - is praised.

As these adored wheelchair-bound ones enter the convention auditorium, the music proudly swells as brothers and sisters look upon them with dewy-eyed admiration.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Thanks for your comments folks - really appreciate it.

@ Steve - no, I have not watched the recent convention videos. The last convention and circuit assemblies I attended was back in 2004 / 2005.

This particular experience took place around the mid 1990's. Back then, in the circuit which our congregation was in, it was rare for these type of interviews to take place at the assemblies.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I always remember this silly old senile hag at a CA sometime in the 1970's who clearly had been called on very late in her life and converted, she must have been about 90 at the time of her baptism, a big deal was being made of it because not only was she wheelchair bound she had some sort of allergy to water, so she had to be wheeled down into the pool in her wheelchair and was bound from head to toe in some sort of waterproof polyurethane plastic suit, I was eight at the time and I had never seen anything so ridiculous in all my short life nor have I seen anything since as stupid, my physically abusive bipolar lunatic elder of a father was crying like a baby as he sat next to me while I was trying as hard as possible not to break out into hysterical laughter, the dirty deed was done and the auditorium erupted, I wonder whatever happened to the smelly old bag? what a waste of everyone's times and energy, its an experience I'll take to my grave.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

we had another old bag in our cong as a kid ( there were many) who had to have special wooden blocks attached to the bottom of her special chair she used to sit in during the meetings, her name was Claire Bastable, detested her. holy that thou, a massive attitude problem as well.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I remember a particular assembly part that must have made most JWs feel terrible. They were interviewing a single mom of 3 boys that received dialysis several times a week, works a full time job to support the family, and was a reg aux pioneer. It made my self sparing, lazy ex feel like crap. In order to build herself up after hearing the "experience" at the assembly, she would tear me down all the way home. "You don't do enough." "You should be reaching out for more privileges." Actually, I wanted less "privileges!" Thus, she is my ex. It would happen after ever assembly. She would compare herself to some "exemplary" circuit stooge that was chosen to show others that they don't do enough and could do more. The GB are dumb as foxes. They know exactly what they were doing.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

My issue is that those "experiences" were designed to reinforce the cult doctrine, and practices.
    It was not really to help the individual. It was purely a marketing exercise to motivate the rest in attendance to "DO MORE"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit