Isaiah 40:29-31 and Being Gay

by IWant2Know 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    KalebOutWest said:
    • Actually, except for most Fundamentalist Christians and some groups like the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, the rest of Christianity and all Jews acknowledge that there are no foretelling of events by the prophets in the Scripture, such as predictions.

So, what about predictions such as Isaiah 11:6-9 and Isaiah 65:17-25? And Daniel 2:31-45, which I mentioned before?

• But the word "prophet" in Hebrew means "spokesman" and not a foreseer of events. In fact it if forbidden by the Mosaic Law for a Jew to attempt to forecast the future by any means.--Lev 19:32, Deut 18:9-12.
    • There are no "prophecies" in this sense, whatsoever, about anything, anywhere in the Bible, let alone about the Messiah.

See the verses that I mentioned above.

• The Jewish concept of the Messiah came about after the last of the books of the Prophets was written, after the Maccabean Revolt which ended in 160 BCE, the events which gave Judaism the first Chanukah celebration.

Whaaaaat? (in astonishment)

• Due to the oppression, the Jews began to study the Jewish texts and realized that the prophets and the Psalms mentioned that God had promised that a son of David was supposed to be anointed as their king, not someone in the line of Levi. So they began to pray for God to redeem them from the hands of the Herods and the Romans, to bring the promised Son of David, the promised anointed (in Hebrew, Masiach or Messiah).

Whaaaaat? (in astonishment)

• A theology began to be built around many of these texts, though none of them are "prophecies." There are NO texts in the Bible that say: "There shall come a Messiah..." or "The Messiah shall come that will do this and that..." The first time the Jews used such expressions as a concept were in the Gamara, then in the Mishnah, which came to be transfered into writings of the Talmud.

So, what about the Isaiah verses that I mentioned above? And the son of man verses in Daniel 7:13-14?

• The fullest concepts of the Messiah were developed by the early Christians themselves, not the Jews, which is why the Jews rejected Jesus as the Messiah.

Well, that makes sense. Because when you ask Jews to elaborate more about the messiah and olam ha-bah, they're like, um, um, we don't know.

• The use of Genesis 3:15 in reference to Jesus does not come from the Jews but the Church Fathers

So, what do Jews believe that verse means?

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    Kosonen said:
    • No I don't. My wife is still active JW. And she goes to the meeting with my 4 children who are 11 -24 years old. Our relation has been most of the time very tense since I was disfellowshipped. But for the past year our relation has improved significantly. That has made daily life much better.

I can only imagine how difficult that would be, however, I'm glad to hear that things are getting better.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    Kosonen said:
    • If he really wants to overcome his homosexual feelings and thoughts, he should confess in prayer to Jehovah God about it and ask for God's help in the name of Jesus Christ, what ever God could provide. And he should continue to do that everyday for a while, maybe for 100 days and see if there is any improvement.

So, do you know anything about that personally? Also, it's interesting how other people don't think that gay JWs or gay former JWs have never tried that. Because from what I've experienced and from what I know about JWs (gay or straight) who I knew during the time that I was one, people who become JWs are VERY serious and sincere about their faith and will bend over backwards to try to conform to it and stay in it. Because I don't think people take becoming a JW very nonchalantly.

But then again, I don't know because the longer that I live, the more that I learn that people are 'different' in a lot of ways from one another, and one really never knows what another person's true motivations and feelings are.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    Kosonen said:
    • One has to realize the seriousness of the situation and make it a priority to overcome. If we just pray and hope Jehovah will solve this for us without us putting in effort, that won't work. To overcome different kind of sins, we need to understand the seriousness of sin and really want to overcome it and say it in prayer to Jehovah God. And continue doing it day after day.
    • We should ask God to make us so busy in good things so that we would not have time to think about sins. That is a good remedy for keeping sins out of the mind.

Sorry, but you're preaching to someone who was once in the choir (figuratively).

• Matthew 7:7“Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you; 8 for everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking, it will be opened.

No disrespect intended, but, "Ha!"But thank you for trying to help.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    Reasonfirst said:
    • As to specific sexual desire, I think that rather than categorised into groups like gay, straight and Bi, maybe its lineal scattered along a kind of continuum from exclusively gay to exclusively str8, with a large majority on the str8 end.

Yes, I agree. And from what I know about that, it's called sexual fluidity.

• We likely do not know enough about this topic to be dogmatic as to how it operates (works).

I don't know about that. Because for myself, after I had learned about how we all develop as embryos, I was pretty convinced that sexual fluidity and sexual orientation ambiguity and even sexual physical ambiguity (such as those who are intersex) among people is because we all start off as girls.

Also, if you or someone else have never heard of that concept, I'm going to try and post this video at this forum (for the first time) and I hope that I can get it to start at 1:06. But listen to it until 1:59.

https://youtu.be/cX0MNCQvBt8?si=ICJXzzhjr2ER1A0Y&t=66

And that seems to help me to understand why many (but not all) gay men and women often have characteristics of their opposite sex. Because I don't think that they (or at least most of them) are like that because they're trying to make fashion statements or are trying to be socially rebellious. But I just think it's natural for them to look and dress a certain way.

• B.O.Y.'s got a job ahead of him, explaining why he did that.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!I don't know. Because I thought that Stephen Lett has stated that anything that's not 'straight' in the new system has to either shape up or ship out. lol (start at 1:34)

https://youtu.be/GYU3r3VQwSo?si=Pr3kyQogYoa47t-C&t=94

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    IWant2Know said:

I wonder if Adam had a line on his ball sack. lol

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    Reasonfirst said:
    • I'm not sure what a 100% homosexual person is like, or desires.

Well, it's just what it says it is: 100%. Kind of like what you said about the linear scale, which to me means that guys can't get it up when it comes to women. And I'm guessing it's the same for gay women who can't get sexually aroused by men, but only women. Although, a 100% gay woman could fake it, but a 100% gay man couldn't.

• I think it likely that some gay guys have successfully lived either a celibate life, or a successfully married to a woman life.

I don't think that no one is disputing that.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

Reasonfirst said:

• Final comment:
    • As you say, "Well, it sounds like Isaiah 40:29-31 didn't help him since I'm pretty such most JWs have tried to apply those verses to themselves."
    • Of course, it's not just the Isaiah text that promises help. And, my friend did think that he had changed, other wise he claims he would never have married.
    • Likely, he merely suppressed his same sex desires, if something is part of us (whatever the causes of homosexual desire) it would indeed take a miracle to change, and miracles are rationed in today's world.

Well, interestingly, that's what some gay (or allegedly formerly gay) PIMI JWs that I've actually talked to have claimed happened to them, that they changed sexual orientation.

• Even the topic of this thread, that homosexuals must change has a problem, many cultures do not condemn same sex activity. Some years back, during the Asian history degree I studied. One of the lecturers has been studying, is the Japanese movement called Shonen Ai. Last century, a number of Japanese women, dissatisfied with traditional Japanese marriage relationships, began studying gay relationships. Developing out of that are images called yaoi, and illustrated literature called Mangas. These are now known throughout the world, with millions of readers in most languages. The fans of that genre are mostly young, and I'm wondering to what extent that genre is responsible for changing attitudes towards gay people

Well, that's fascinating. Also, I had never heard of that before. Plus, thank you for your comments.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

IWant2Know:

So, what about predictions such as Isaiah 11:6-9 and Isaiah 65:17-25? And Daniel 2:31-45, which I mentioned before?

Catholic, and mainstream Protestants, as well as Jews don't view them as "predictions" in the same sense as Jehovah's Witnesses and many Fundamentalists. A prediction is what a medium or soothsayer does, such as forecasting or foretelling the future, like a palm reader or spiritualist claims to do in a crystal ball.

The prophets did not predict the future, per se, as least not the way Jews, Catholics, and mainstream Protestants believe and some Fundamentalists hold.

The reason Jehovah's Witnesses believe this is that JWs teach that Jehovah is an entity or being that exists on the same temporal plain of existence that humans do, thus experiencing time from the same frame of reference that we do with one difference: that God can foretell or foresee the future (and past). Christians and Jews teach that the God of Abraham is Ineffable and therefore does not exist on our temporal plain. God created the temporal plain, including the phenomenon of time. Therefore God is not affected by time. The beginning, the middle, and the end of time are all available to God at once, like all the letters in a word. God is like the reader, outside a word, and we are like the ink on a page that make up the individual markings of each stroke of each letter on a page. God is not affected by time whatsoever.

For Jehovah's WItnesses, God must "foresee" and "foretell" the future and must keep time, partially because the theology of Jehovah's Witnesses is based on "timekeeping" and "the end of times." If this understanding fails, so does their teaching that their religion is the only true one. Their leaders have spent over a century trying to teach they only they can understand the "predictions" of the "prophets."

But if there are predictions, then explain to me the 30 pieces of silver prophecy in reference to Jesus before I explain the others.

Don't worry. You can't. You know why, because it isn't a prediction.

In reality, the writers of the New Testament, who were Jews, used a type of Jewish exegesis known as "midrash" to interpret Scripture to explain what the prophets meant in fulfillment about Jesus. "Midrash" is not a claim that a prophet or an oracle can foretell the future, but that a Jewish writer is using a play on words, claiming that the Holy Spirit put something deep into holy writ that had an application that was not apparent to the original composer of the text.

Take for instance this "prophecy" about Jesus being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver. At Matthew 27:3-10, it is claimed that Judas betraying Jesus for 30 pieces of silver and then Judas killing himself fulfills a prophecy written by Jeremiah. This is combination of three texts, neither of which are foretelling events, none speaking about the Jewish Messiah, and then only the first of the two which were written by Jeremiah.

The first is an obscure text about a potter from Jeremiah 18:2-3, then one about buying a field at 32:6-9; and then finally a text from Zechariah 11:12-13 and 30 where Zechariah receives 30 pieces of silver for his labor. The author of Matthew uses the technique of "midrash" to stitch them together to produce the "prophecy" of Jeremiah's oracle about the Messiah being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver, even though such an oracle or prophecy about the Messiah never occurs in the book of Jeremiah. The author of Matthew can say that, however, under the rules of midrash--because a prophecy is not about predicting the future.

I'll bet you could not have done that if I had not told you that, now could you.

As for each text you have given me:

Isaiah 11:6-9--Isaiah is indeed talking about the ideal king in Davidic king and restoration under him for all Israel's benefit, but it should be noted that the oracle does not have any particular historical person or time period in mind.

Isaiah 65:17-25 is part of an apocalypse and not a prophecy, written by Deutero-Isaiah or maybe even Third or Fourth Isaiah. It is speaking of the conditions experienced by the Jews after they returned from exile to Babylon. Apocalypse speaks of the present in future terms, as if it has yet to be fulfilled, using symbols. The book of Daniel, as apocalypse, does this throughout its "visions," for example.

And none of the texts from Daniel are prophetic. The book is an "apocalypse," not a prophecy. In fact, "Daniel" is not even a real person. That is why when you open a Jewish Bible, the Book of Daniel does not appear in the "Prophets" section but in the "Writings" section.

The Book of Daniel was written by the Maccabees during their persecution and subsequent revolt under the Hasmoneons, with events ending in the celebrations of the very first Chanukah. "Daniel" is a folk hero--like America's Paul Bunyan. Daniel gives warnings and messages to Nebuchadnezzar, even though the Jews have been back from the exiles for generations now. They are facing a new threat from the Hellenists who want to stop Jewish worship. Using apocalyptic language that sound like oracles and visions, the Maccabees encourage their fellow Jews with folktales of Daniel overcoming the heathens and their gods, showing how they will defeat the Hellenists and restore the Temple and pure worship in their own day if they keep up the fight (which they did).

None of these are predictions.

And the son of man verses in Daniel 7:13-14?

The Church Fathers, using the "midrash" that Jesus and the apostles used as recorded in the New Testament, applied this to Jesus. Again, this is an apocalypse, not a book by a real prophet or even by a person named Daniel. The folk hero by that name did not exist and is not listed as one of the prophets of Israel in the Talmud.

And what do Jews believe Genesis 3:15ff means? Exactly what it reads. That women and snakes would not get along, etc. The story is not considered necessarily a literal story either. Remember this is the Torah, a book of Law, not history like Jehovah's Witnesses believe. So any narrative in its has some relation to the Mosaic Law itself.

The Torah ends with the story of Moses east of the Jordan not being able to enter the Promised Land. It is generally agreed that this was added as narrative during the exile to explain that the Jews, being "east" of the Promised Land, were still hoping to return. The narrative of the Garden of Eden is based on the type of enclosed garden of the king of Babylon that had a guard with a sword and kept people out. It had, on its outside, cherubim, for the decor. Adam and Eve in the narrative represent the Jews who, though in the "image of God," break covenant (represented by stealing from one of the trees) and then covering themselves up afterwards (believing they are naked or no longer in God's image). They are sent out of the paradise and left "east of Eden," or in Babylon.

The Torah begins like it ends, with characters on the "east" of paradise or the Promised Land. In both instances Moses and Adam & Eve represent the position the Jews are in, wanting to return. If the people observer the Torah, the just might.

Of insterest, the Tree of Life represents enterance to the Most Holy or the Temple itself. Christianity saw it as the Cross. The author of the Gospel of Luke uses the Greek equivalent for cross (starous--there really wasn't an equivalent because the "cross" was a new Roman invention that did not exist when the Greek language was around, thus the new Latin word "crux") but after Jesus is resurrected in Acts he starts using the word for tree instead (xylon) such as in Peter's speech on Pentecost.

Now let me ask you for a change:

I am Jewish by birth. I have a Catholic parent and a Jewish one. I went to Catholic catechism and Hebrew school. I learned Koine Greek, ecclesiatical Latin, and Biblical/liturgical Hebrew. I got raised for a few years by a JW relation when my parents divorced but left when I grew up. What religion am I today?

Now that you have read my replies, what are your counter arguments? If you have none what are you doing about it?

If you have them, what are they?

Who cares what I believe? How cares about what you believe? What are you doing with your life now that is helping others more than you? Finding answers for you is good--but it's a selfish thing to an extent. To a cetain point you have to stop asking and start doing. Jehovah's Witnesses are a selfish religion that teach to ask, ask, and learn, learn, for yourself, self, self, self. What do you do that forgets about you for a change? (Don't answer me on this last one. Answer yourself and then go do it)

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

IW2K: Quote: "Well, that's fascinating. Also, I had never heard of that before. Plus, thank you for your comments."

It's an interesting topic, involving B.O.Y. creative abilities, intentions and whether or not he exists. Christian reasoning places low value on sex, but it remains as one of basic motivations in human life.

Anyway, I've had enough to say. But, if you were fascinated by the Japanese women who studied gay men's relationships (they called themselves 'fujoshi,' which can be translated as 'spoiled' or even 'rotten' women.)

I wonder what you'll make of Haesindang Park in South Korea. Wikipedia (for convenience) describes the park:

Quote: "Haesindang Park (해신당 공원), also called Penis Park, is a park located on the east coast of South Korea, in a city called Samcheok, ... in Gangwon Province. The park is noted for its number of phallic statues. The collection created by Korean artists displays various forms of "hanging arrangements to three-meter tall trunks of wood", for joy, spirituality and sexuality. A small Folk Museum titled "Village Folk Museum" has exhibits of art objects on the "sex iconography" over ages in different cultures, shamanic ritual."

Check out the images:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haesindang_Park

and, https://www.wandering-traveler.com/penis-park-korea/

and, https://lateralmovements.com/penis-park-haesindang-south-korea/

Don't blame me, I didn't plan that park

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit