God is Real in Principle

by looter 251 Replies latest jw friends

• looter
    looter

I don't think I've failed cofty just because you haven't understood. I tried to make it completely understandable. The point is understood well by me but again that's why my paragraph was so long because you just can't say a statement like that and expect people to fathom and truly apprehend what you said especially on this site where there are so many arguments on similar topics.

I at least tried to make it coherent even though I'm not too good at that anyway. It's clear to me that you just don't understand which is okay but don't say I've failed when some people have got what I said and if I were to put my main point out in just a few short sentences, you and others most likely would have reacted strongly based on your past discussions. Most probably wouldn't have given me a chance to even plead my case.

• Saename
    Saename

By the way, I think you may have to understand that being knowledgeable does not mean that you have to use big words. This is what I've been taught by English teachers all my life. If you're knowledgeable and wise, then you will actually avoid big words to ensure that the meaning of the message is not lost in the readers' minds.

• looter
    looter

You are correct Saename. But he surely was implying that. And that seemed to be how he molded his conversation from his original reply. What I was trying to say was that "judging morality and ethics by consequences" was just another side of the same coin. But everyone seems to think that it's completely different and not comparable in any way at all.

Sure, I am being unnecessary but I don't mean to. I'm just trying to convey what I think in the easiest way to interpret. So forgive me as I'm not even really good at that. Thanks for that information you gave. Everything's a learning process.

• Saename
    Saename
    looter - What I was trying to say was that "judging morality and ethics by consequences" was just another side of the same coin.

But if judging morality and ethics by consequences is what believers do as well (I assume that is what you mean by "another side of the same coin") to come to the conclusion of what is good, then you don't need God, do you?

looter - Everything's a learning process.

Indeed. We need to learn. And learn. And learn.

• looter
    looter

Well, some actually do need to believe God to come to that conclusion. There are people in my life where I see this is true. They are just as moral and sound of mind as anyone else is but they just have their decipher in God and feel they need him as well.

• Saename
    Saename

But isn't in the case that they feel they need God because they think that God promises them hope for something—whether it be paradise or better future?

• atomant
    atomant

Looter.lm certain many unbelievers in here will silently turn to god on their death bed and pray for forgiveness just in case.Cofty might even be one of them.

• looter
    looter

Saename, not all the time. Some people just know in their hearts that he is the almighty God and that he deserves everything from them. So they act according to that not necessarily because he will give them some reward but because he deserves since he created them and everyone. It's kind of hard to grasp, obviously, but that's just how some peoples brain is wired. A lot of atheist cannot seem to understand or respect that innocent belief, not innocent all the time of course, so they just berate and oppress them just because of their own conviction.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Cofty

You clearly said Christians, I am pointing out that there are many denominations that have different beliefs. For an example how many years did you preach the JW cult interpretation of the Bible. Well there is also the Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist and so on. Within the Lutheran religion there are two different segments of believers and they do things completely different. In Christianity you cannot make a blanket statement of their beliefs like you did. My girlfriend is an Elder in the Methodist Church. One branch of the Methodist Church women can hold all positions including Minister and Board members and in the other women are treated just like in the JW cult.

All I am saying is you need to qualify your statement.

• Saename
    Saename

If some people believe that, that's fine. I don't mind. I used to believe that myself. I just came to the conclusion that there's no need for me to have faith in an unfalsifiable claim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit