Any witnesses actually talking about this?

by freedom96 14 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Mouthy,

My speaking of "being dumb" is more directed at the society for possibly putting another date out there, which will fail as well. After all the mistakes they have made, I find it almost humorous that they would try putting another date out there, though I understand they are trying to buy time.

I personally grew up a witness and therefore didn't have the luxury of deciding for myself what I wanted to believe. This was it, and this was the life I was dealt. As I got older, I wised up, used my head. I left for good in my mid twenties.

I don't wish to call the majority of witnesses dumb, however brainwashed does come to mind, though I believe that a lot of witnesses enjoy not having to think too hard on many different levels. Dumb, as in stupid, many no, some yes, but mostly mind control. I don't fault them for that alone.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Publication articles are seldom discussed among jws, in my experience. They don't really read many of the articles anyway. The WT study one, as Blondie mentions, won't be widely read until the week of the study. Many won't do that either - the first gander they'll have is during the study.

During the study, 20% or so aren't even at the meeting. Another 5-10% are in bathrooms or milling around during parts of it. Another 30-40% are daydreaming, thinking about what they'll be doing or eating afterwards. So, I figure less than half of all jws will even get whatever point the wts is trying to make.

• jackal
    jackal

I have no idea what's going on in Dubland, as I've been out for a very long time. But it occurred to me that the 1,000-year anniversary of Jesus' death (and supposed resurrection, if you're a Christian) would be in 2033 or 2034. (I know there's arguments about the actual year of Jesus' birth, which is why I'm hedging here.) If the Dubs don't seize on this, I'm sure that other apocalyptic types will.

It seems to me that a date so far away wouldn't do the JWs much good. It's too hard to wield it like a club over the heads of the rank and file. Would you be motivated to quit smoking, having sex with your boy/girlfriend, or whatever, if you know that the end was a mere 30 years away? Or would you figure you could have a little fun in the meantime, and then get serious later?

• Sassy
    Sassy

I know too many who won't point to a date from an article.. they got too burned back in 75.

Even my mother who is very upset about me leaving, hasn't said a word and she would if she took it that way. She just keeps saying that religion will be turned on any minute and I need to get back in now while there is still time.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Maybe the ones who *have* read it are so used to being spoonfed every single idea that they haven't even bothered to do the math, or it hasn't occurred to them that there could be significance to the article. Anything "big" that you really have to pay attention to, is released at district conventions anyways, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit