What is the watchtower going to do when

by pepperheart 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They'll have a carny stand and sell snake oil.

No change there then!

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

They have made a billion dollars over the last few years...they are not going to run out of money in our lifetime's...

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

Puppets Jehovah will provide.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They spend quarter of a billion a year on missionaries, pioneeers and circuit overseers alone. How much more on HQ and branches?

Plus why assume there was no leverage on the properties they sold?

Plus how much did they lose in the 2008 crash?

Plus didn't Lett say the sale of one building only covers running costs for a a few months?

Plus are't JWs the least well educated, lowest paid religious group in the US?

Plus haven't JWs always boasted that they don't beg for donations and hasn't that bred a "receive free" attitude in many JWs?

Plus haven't they lost their biggest source of income which was book and magazine sales?

Plus don't they lack exactly the sort of political connections that other groups exploit for financial and other advantages of various kinds?

I could go on. There is every reason to suspect JWs are an increasing poor religion, and every evidence of panic in the leadership at the realisation they are running out of funds.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Will the watchtower collapse in due time ?

Then their shunning politics will collapse short after, wouldn't it be nice ?

• sir82
    sir82

Imagine having a business where your customer just hand you their money, and you don't have to pay tax on it.

Nor do you have to supply a tangible product in return.

It is a brilliant business model.

Income will slow, but "run out of money"? Never.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Demographics are against them. The average age of JWs, at least in the US, is middle-aged or older. This is not a religion in which young wage earners predominate. Older JWs have very little financially. And while the WTS made a billion plus in selling off Brooklyn real estate, as the saying goes, you can only sell the family silver once. The money is running out, no doubt. Maybe not fast--it will probably take decades--but run out it will.

• pontoon
    pontoon

Everything in Brooklyn was old, they are out of Brooklyn, downsized in new super energy efficient compound with 800 residents

Income producing properties, especially Assembly Halls, that they own but do not spend a penny to maintain that they rent for $$$$$$$. Must add up to millions in pure profit each month

Monthly transfers of $$$$$$ from tens of thousands of congregations. So some congregations are poor and can't pay what they are supposed to, so what, how does that hurt the corporation?

Years ago I knew a bethelite who worked in estate planning. What is left to the corporation is HUGE. I personally new two witnesses, a brother here in NY and a sister in Palm Beach Florida that left estates worth millions and millions of $$$$$$ to the corporation. And it's happening all the time.

Real estate business income, investments, who knows how much $$$$$$$ that brings in?

Remember, all tax free at least in the US, don't know about other countries

The way they have been buying expensive properties (river front apt complexes, motels, warehouses) around here in the Hudson Valley NY it seems they have money to burn and can't spend it fast enough. They spend like it was Monopoly. That's because they don't have to earn it, it's all given to them. If funds get low they'll have Lett plead for more. I used to do that when I was account servant in my old congregation, and that night we would have our average contributions X 10.

Just my thoughts on the financial condition of Wat Corporation

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I suspect that they're anticipating a loss in tax-exempt status.

Question is, is their "business plan" sustainable without it?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If a handful of people in New York only make a few million a year and pay no taxes on it, they will close/sell/layoff until they are just fine. If they have to close the kitchens (not likely in our lifetime) they will dine at restaurants or have the rank & file bring them food.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit