How long did it take before you realized that you missed the obvious?

by pistolpete 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Regarding the Genesis account: Ch. 3:21 "Jehovah God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and to clothe them"

So Jehovah God must have slaughtered some animal`s to do this ? So much for paradise ,and apparently Jehovah married them ,adam and Eve.

And whats with posting Cherubs at the East of the Garden of Eden with a flaming blade of a sword ? turning itself continually ? to guard the way to the tree of life ?

What was wrong with going around to the North ,South ,or West of the garden and just walk in ? Was their a fence or wall around the rest of the garden?

Or only one way in ?

When you stop and think about it .

When you stop and think about it ?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Biahi Pete, that’s what they told me, too! I didn’t know why we sang that 🎶 Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul. If they teach that we don’t have a soul, maybe we should fear those who would kill our body. I asked my mom, and she told me not to think too much, or I would think myself right out of the truth. So sad.

I used to think about that song, too. Also as I grew older and watched Star Trek I’d think about the food replicator and Scottie’s aversion to the transporter machine. To JWs if we have no soul & we and are essentially our brains, JWs have a materialists view of life! That means when we die it is merely a replication of us - or a clone - that is resurrected.

Snare & Racket Co. My favourite, Hitchens said, had god asked him to take his child to a mountain, bind him then slaughter him like an animal.... he would say "F**£ you!" and suffer the consequences!

same could be said of shunning a DF child or allowing your kid to die for want of a blood transfusion. Love your child and bugger the consequences for yourself! Its supposed to be about self-sacrifice but Witnesses effectively put themselves first, in these situations, by not risking their own eternal life.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

And the slaughter of firsborn is what they call "passover" and this time of the the year is celebrated as the MOST HOLY time of the year.

Yearly Celebration of a Genocide, or mass killing or whatever we may call it.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Magnum what you said is so right in saying words matter. Another example would be to read a book purported to have been published in the 1700s saying that "a burning ball that looked like the basketballs officially used in NBA championships in the United States of America was lobbed from the deck of one iron clad steam powered ship to the other ship."

The reference to the sword in Genesis 3:24 should probably being viewed as anachronistic.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    Diogenesister, the WT has actually admitted that their idea of a bodily resurrection is literally a recreation. I don't yet remember which WT book said it in detail (comparing it to how the cells of our bodies are duplicates which replaced other cells years ago), but page 175 in ph. 16 of the Life Does Have a Purpose book (c. 1977) briefly mentions the idea. The first sentence of that ph. says 'As to the resurrected one, God will accurately "re-create" each individual with his entire life pattern, personality and memory just as it was.' That wording might give the impression that the remains of the pattern, personality, and memory of the person will be collected and put back together, but elsewhere the WT literature says Jehovah will remake them using Jehovah's memory of those aspects of the person.

You are right that the "JWs have a materialists['] view of life" and since I loved science since early childhood and since I knew scientific literature about the mind and the brain is also that way, it enabled to accept some of the JW ideas as scientifically correct and it helped to eventually pave the way to me becoming a positive/strong atheist and a philosophical/scientific atheist. Praise science.

Regarding the soul while they teach we don't have a soul in the same sense that most people use the word "soul", they do teach that whole person/being is a soul - including our mind with our body and that God can restore it from death - albeit by recreating it (creating a copy of it) since they believe that God has a perfect memory of mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit