I am just curious... Is there any studies/statistics that back up that Bush

by Country Girl 15 Replies latest social current

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    It's all just more lies from the radical white right wingers. Look at how many barrels of oil are being shipped to the US today in their quest for more and more of the world's resources.

Why are you parodying yourself Dakota?

• roybatty
    roybatty

Why is everyone surprised that there are economic reasons in this war? Duh, it's no differnt that most wars in our history. While I don't believe it's the sole or main reason we went to Iraq, it wouldn't surprise me. Heck, why do you this Germany, Russia and France didn't want Saddam out of power? Because they hate war? Nope. It was because they were making money doing business with Iraq. It just bugs me that this "I'm getting mine" is a Republican label. Look how Clinton and his crownies sold the US out to the Chinese....but that's a differnt topic. The sooner people learn that the rich and power look out for each other (no matter what party they belong to) the better.

The world is a better place without Saddam. The Iraqi people are going to be better without him. If he wasn't taken out, in ten years we'd have another North Korea on our hands. No weapons of mass destruction? At what point do you stand by and wait? Now look at whats going on in Iran. For years they have denied have a nuke program but now ooops, yeah they have one. And getting back to Iraq. If the US is soooo interested in controlling their oil, they why anounce that we're accelerating the process of handing power to them? I believe it's now next June when they're to be in control. Why not do what that UN is doing in former Yugoslavia and drag it's feet?

For me, Rumsfeld had the best idea. Go in there, kill Saddam and his goon and let the Iraqis rebuild their own country.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Funky D:

Precisely! The evidence *should* come first. But, like I said above, it's just a feeling I get, with nothing really concrete to back it up. I was definitely all for going in there and getting Saddam's regime out, and letting the Iraquis form their own constitution and government, with our help, whatever that might have been. But it just seemed as if every time the Administration had a path, and what seemed a clear cut goal, they would go off on another wild goose chase, and completely abandon the "road map" .. which I don't think every really existed to get from Point A to Point B, just the first few legs of the journey.

I am not very good at explaining myself, so I apologize for any appearance of extreme ignorance. I do not WANT to make statements without fully understanding the full issue. I do love politics, and unfortunately, I'm somewhat of a neophyte. That is why I would like markers or pointers, perhaps from someone here, or on the Internet, that would provide me with more information with which to really understand this very complicated situation, and which could provide me with a more solid foundation on which to make an argument. If I can grasp both sides, I can then determine which I find more realistic. Thanks Will for the link, I am going there now to read!

Sorry for any confusion.

CG

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Country Girl:

If oil was the reason for the war, the Americans would have invaded Saudi Arabia, with its far larger reserves and state of the art facilities, not Iraq, with its clapped out facilities and lower potential.

The economics do not support the "war for oil". For good summaries as to why, see The Economist of Sept 12, 2002 "Don't Mention The O-Word" and January 23, 2003 "All About Oil?". Pre-war articles which post-war events have shown to be sensible evaluations. The local library should have copies.

Expatbrit

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Very good points, EXpat. I will definitely get these articles to read up on. Thanks all of you for your helpful suggestions. Next time, maybe I can come to the table with a more knowledgeable stance!

CG

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

In answer to your question:

Of course there are many other reasons !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit