All UK telephone landlines being phased out.....

by BoogerMan 25 Replies latest social current

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Click bait. If you read the article it says

You will still be able to have a “landline” telephone in your house, but rather than it being connected to the old PSTN network going forwards, it will now be plugged into your Broadband connection – directly into your router, via wi-fi or directly into a new wall socket. ”

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Certainly a totally different planet to the one I grew up in - where the telephone exchange was operated by the local post office staff. Telephone service was only available between 09:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, and between 09:00 am and midday on Saturdays. This was a manual exchange of the “Magneto” type, with barely a dozen subscribers in total - and no such thing as being able to have a confidential telephone conversation.

Some things, at least, have changed for the better!

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Showing your age there Rivergang!

RB.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

VoIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, which is when voice calls are made over the internet, and will replace your traditional PSTN telephone connection.

Your PSTN line, or landline, will be switched off at the end of December 2025, along with all other fixed lines, which includes broadband, will no longer be available.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

Oh no!! Surely VOIP is going to be even more deadly than 5G!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

We only have a few remaining copper lines (landlines) at my job, and are working to replace those with VoIP lines before the end of the summer. If we do it by then, we won't have to renew the contract for those few (almost unused) lines.

At home, I can't remember when I last had a copper phone line. In the 2000s the cable company offered phone service packaged with their cable TV and internet, so we started using that instead of copper. I last had such a phone line in 2015 or 2016. It just wasn't worth the cost, since I used my cell phone for any calls (not because I'm a technophile, but because I hardly ever use the phone!). Honestly, I'm wondering how many copper lines are still in use.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder now someone can call a KH to get info from. Is the WTS/KH going to provide cellphone numbers instead?

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"I wonder now someone can call a KH to get info from. Is the WTS/KH going to provide cellphone numbers instead?"

No. You can still have a 'landline'. Its just that calls will be over VOIP instead of copper going through a central office and 5ESS switch or whatever is currently being used. For the few people who still only have a phone and no internet, im not sure they'd even recognize anything had changed unless perhaps they noticed a technician changing out equipment in the box outside their home or business.

• Simon
    Simon

This is simple technology progress - it's expensive to keep all the infrastructure for ye-olde-phones when there has been so much invested to provide fibre optics that can carry significantly more data, including voice.

We no longer have stables to feed and water our horses on long trips either, or people going round lighting street-lamps at night.

• Dagney
    Dagney

When I renewed my internet service at my desert bunker when the one year special expired, they "made" me get a land line and TV as part of a bundle that was cheaper than just getting another year of internet.

I don't get it. I was perfectly fine without it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit