Whatever happened to "YOU'RE WELCOME"? Has "NO PROBLEM" replaced it?

by Terry 24 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Just a change in expressions. I don't mind the 'np', as I think it's as genuine as 'yw'.

I have my own bug, though. Instead of hello, people say "Hi, how are you?" and don't want a real answer. They expect the standard "Fine, thank you.", and then carry on. Give them a *real* answer, like "oh, I'm having a great day shopping, how is your day?", or "Well, my dog died yesterday and I'm real sad". This is often the response:

If ya don't wanna know, don't ask me! (and that's *my* old fuddy-duddyism) : D

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I believe French has "pas de probleme" too.

Also "de rien" or "its nothing."

• talesin
    talesin
    Younger people say things differently than oldz. Case in point: "the authorities". Under 60 simply say, "the police".

Or 'the cops', or 'I smell bacon'. :)

(I'm a boomer, and would never call cops an authority - the horror! But I'm a rebellious, anarchist hippy who hasn't given up her ideals.)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The thing that gets my goat sometimes is when you purchase something and when your about to leave after the transaction, the teller comes out with a programmed have a nice day with such a unemotional mechanical expression.

This is what they are instructed to say at every buying transaction, that it rolls off their mouth like a boring Yawn.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sorry Terry, couldn't resist.

• Terry
    Terry
    That's a good likeness. Those damned clouds!
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Nah, your way hotter! Don't sell yourself short.
  • InChristAlone
    InChristAlone
    I still can't get used to the employees at Chic-Fil-A who say, "My pleasure" instead of "You're welcome."
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hey watzzuzp ?

Catch you later.

• Lieu
    Lieu

My pleasure & you're welcome mean the exact same thing. (If you know anything about word origins)

Welcome is a construct of Old English meaning pleasing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit