To all those underage and awake…

by Londo111 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

I salute you.

When I was in, I was a brainwashed idiot. It instilled an arrogance and made me part of a community that contributed to your suffering.

I remember when I would see a JW parent drag their teens to the meeting. Some of these parents had converted recently, some had been some years. But it was obvious their children were uninterested in “the truth”. Without speaking a word, their attitude emanated from them in waves.

At the time, I thought they were “rebellious” or a bad seed, that maybe if they would only give “the truth” a chance…

Now after waking up and reading experiences of the underaged knowing it isn’t “the truth”, being forced into meetings and field service, being subject to the whims of fanatical parents, I emphasize. It is no wonder they don’t look happy.

Of course, when I was 17, I briefly considered leaving the religion (after being baptized at 15), but my father threatened to kick me out if I did. At the time, I didn’t have access to the information that is everyone’s fingertips nowadays. I’d no easy way of properly evaluating the religion. My family called the elders who quickly re-indoctrinated me.

So many of my peers over the years left. I now realize they were not “weak” or “worldly”, but they were smarter than I was.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I feel ya. I'm 37. I was never baptized, but myself and so many of my JW peers are looooong gone. I'd say 95% of the kids my age left, DA'd, DF'd, or moved and faded, never to be heard from again. All of the old timers (including my parents) have passed away. What is left of this religion? Not much, not much at all. I'm old enough to remember all of the scare mongering of the 1980's Generation/1914 nonsense, which eventually built up into "this System won't last past the year 2000." The year 2000 was 16, almost 17 years ago. Crazy! I have a son who is now 12. He has NEVER set foot into a Kingdom Hall - EVER - and probably (hopefully) never will. What for? A lifetime of servitude, poverty, ignorance, & misery? "Best life ever!" - my azz!

The internet has become a total game-changer for people in cults. The "truth" is only a mouse click away!

• Londo111
    Londo111

That last sentence would make a good t-shirt.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I like that too, WingCommander!

"The 'truth' is only a mouse click away!"

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

What a great post, Londo.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

Once you learn TTATT, and you see things thru different eyes, it is interesting to think back. Things start to become more and more into perspective.

You look back, and you feel for the kids were dragged to the mind numbing meetings. The kids taken into the back rooms and having the "rod" of discipline used on them. It was abusive to expect a child to sit for 2 hours straight and not make a sound.

I look back, and feel for my own childhood, that was taken from me, too.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Amen Londo!

Sometimes I still kick myself for being so gullible.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

When I was very young I was discussing the bible with some kid and I said 'if God didn't create it who did?' and he said 'who created god?' and I think in that moment I became an atheist .

• smiddy
    smiddy

A truly great post Londo111, it`s a pity it wont get the attention it deserves .

And I too like the idea of the t-shirt

• Londo111
    Londo111

I noticed somebody else had a similar thought on Reddit yesterday within an hour of me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/4ydana/impressed_at_the_awake_youth/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit