Latest Study Watchtower - JW's NEED to confess to elders

by The Fall Guy 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Another way juicy details come out is when the local needs warn the congregation about specific sins a few weeks after an individual has been ' publicly' reproved. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out who has been involved in such sin.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

snugglebunny

It just went on and on. One courting couple I knew believed that anal sex was OK as it was a non-divorceable offence if performed outside of marriage so therefore obviously not a disfellowshipping offence either. No confession required!

Man talk about making the BEST out of a hard situation! Kudos to them!!!

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

and Long hair girl,

I was not offended - just telling my considered experience.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Didnt Jw`s previously condemn the RC church for having a priest a catholic had to confess to ? as not being christian ?

And now they are virtually adopting the same practice ? confessing your sins to Elders ?

• dozy
    dozy

Regarding confidentiality - I was an elder once & both the congregations I attended the body of elders leaked like a sieve. Every KM school I went to there was an item on the "importance of confidentiality" and it was often mentioned in CO visits so clearly it is a problem. Pillow talk , gossip , "pub talk" with his mates in the congregation- even wives / families finding notes or overhearing phone calls etc. When I was a 12 year old kid , I found my father's "elders" notebook that he had left lying around in the house. The juicy revelations of adultery , premarital sex , smoking , drunkenness , fraud etc were quite an insight!

When I was fading , I had an elder call on me for a chat. I stressed that everything should be kept confidential & he assured me ( and this was one of the better elders. ) A couple of days later his wife met my wife in the supermarket & virtually repeated word for word what we had discussed. I was really angry about this & phoned the guy to express my irritation - he was very apologetic but far too late for that. I would NEVER , EVER confide in any elder , no matter how well meaning he seems to be.

Frankly - if someone has committed a "sin" then just shut up about it. At least half the JWs in the congregation have committed "secret" sins as well that they haven't "fessed up to".

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

for the most part the sin is getting caught. if someone doesn't catch you and get you to go to the elders it didn'thappen witness the committee with one new elder out to make a point, one who was covering up wife's drunkeness and his adultery both, and one who was a serious child beater to the point of physical damage. so who grieved the holy spirit? the 4th guy involved was the kind who would take the word of a worldly person given as hearsay to another non baptized person, then to the wife as a witness just to make sure the cahrges stuck this particular family ended up in the back room hashing things out with EVERY family in the hall

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. krismalone's post on the previous page...

Even the penalties for two unmarried kids getting it on were light in the OT.

"Maybe get married... IF she's knocked up..."

Personally, I suspect that hardcore religionists have over-interpreted scriptural admonitions on sex because they've privately and unconsciously felt that they weren't restrictive enough.

• hoser
    hoser

It's all about control.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course you "need" to confess...

...how else are they gonna get dirt on you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit