Different, but perhaps better than planned

by bebu 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• bebu
    bebu

My neighbor called yesterday and asked if she could come over and visit me today. Of course, I said yes!

Unfortunately, I over-roasted the espresso beans, and we had to "settle" for regular El Salvadoran coffee. She brought donuts, so it was a good setting.

First we chatted about 45 minutes about her personal situation and frustrations. I began to believe that we'd run out of time for what I'd hoped we'd do, which was have her look at a selection of pyramid/mason articles that I'd found that were very straightforward, with references and pictures, and not "hysterical". As it turned out, we did not get to do this, but we did have a very important discussion and a quick look at another site.

My neighbor brought with her (and left behind) the folder with papers I'd given her last time. She told me that she'd shown them to an elder, who looked thru them. He told her that I was trying to destroy her faith and sow doubts. Also, that whoever was doing research on the JWs was a vindictive and angry person, just trying to dredge up things to cause trouble! She wanted to know WHY I was so determined to share this stuff with her. Did I feel good tearing down things?

I paused and thought... and just told her the truth. I said, "I have believed that you cared about things that were true. And I care about you. If I didn't care about you, or else felt that you would shrug off everything with an excuse, I don't think I'd have mentioned anything. A few weeks ago, you told me that you were concerned about anything that was bothering me, and I could share anything with you. Well, this is bothering me! And I feel the struggle of knowing things that are, I think, important to us both, and how this will affect you. I don't enjoy causing you to be upset!"

So we continued with a heart-to-heart of sorts. It's an interesting thing to talk about the things we are REALLY feeling, and our thoughts about each other. It was a strengthening thing; I told her that I appreciated her listening to me. She told me that she felt at a loss at being handed all these papers; unprepared. I told her I was sorry about the way it felt for her, but when she mentioned that she had to leave at a certain time, I felt pressed to make it through. She smiled.

We began talking about our differences again, and she explained that all the true doctrine (JW doctrine) was plain to see in the Bible. Jesus said that there'd be a F&D slave class, and that...

"Jesus said there'd be a class?" I asked, innocently. "Well, no, but it's been understood that there's ALWAYS been a group of leaders, and they are a class, and they are the F&D slave." "Well, the Catholics could argue very well for being the F&D slave." "The Catholics use certain verses," she said, "but if you studied the verses in the original language then you couldn't come up with their interpretation."

I replied, "Well, it looks like interpretation is a big issue. The Catholics list their Bible verses and stand on them, and claim that they are following the Bible. The JWs list their Bible verses, and claim the same. They point at each other and say, 'your interpretation is wrong'. So, how do I know that the WTS is the F&D slave, and not the Catholic church?"

Well, the Catholic pope's history... oh, you know, the terrible things that popes did.. Stock answer.

I told her that it appeared to me that there were big parallels between the Catholics and the WTS as far as history went. Here, she got a little ruffled, and said NO. I said, well, it's easy to look at Catholic history and find out what people said and did. When I look at WT history, I do see similar troubles.

"People all make mistakes!"

"Of course! I'm very tolerant of mistakes, actually. Every church and organization makes mistakes. But don't you see that the crux of the issue is whether the WTS is the F&D slave or not? And it is important to verify this point, just like for the Catholics?"

I continued: If we studied a large group of people and discovered that they all ate and drank the same food, but half of them were overweight while the other half were slim, we have to throw out diet as the factor. Then we discover that it turns out that half of the group are walking 2 miles each day for excercise. This is the place that shows the difference, not the diet. You say and I say that the Bible must be believed and followed. But history shows that millions of people read the Bible and go one direction, while a small group of people read the WT and end up in another direction. It seems clear that the ONLY factor that is making a difference is the WT's teachings, because we both claim to be following the Bible. So, it is important for me to examine them carefully.

She finally caught my drift.

She asked me, what would I say to a witness who came to the door? I answered, "If a witness came to my door, I'd say that I have a lot of red flags, a lot of obstacles that must be answered. If the witness could give me a satisfactory answer on these and take away the red flags, then of course I'd be able to go forward and look more openly at their organization." She seemed satisfied with that.

She then asked me some questions about the preaching work of protestants--why don't they do this? I laughed and said that she was just unaware of it, and told her of different projects and programs of individual and combined churches. I expected her to treat this with contempt, but she didn't; she listened and thought.

I don't recall how we got onto our last topic, but she was listing things that we had in common, and mentioned "Jesus is our mediator..." and without thinking twice, I said, "Jesus is YOUR mediator?" She looked at me like I had been drinking anti-freeze. "OF COURSE. WHO ELSE!!?" We had an interesting few moments while I tried to convince her that the WT was teaching that Jesus was NOT the mediator for the large flock, but only the annointed. She was a bit exasperated. I asked her if she wanted to make a bet, but she scowled and said, "I don't bet!" I replied, if you are certain on this, well, maybe you should consider it! (And you know what, she is making a bet, truly--she is betting everything in her life on the validity of the WT.)

Sooooo, we went to the computer and I found a site that had a lot of quotes from the WT about Jesus being the mediator only for the annointed. She felt that this person was vindictive and hateful. I matched her level of enthusiasm with, "Look, I have NO WAY on my own to verify these things! I need YOU to do this, because I don't have any original documents here. I always try to find a scan of a document in order to verify that a quote is genuine [I didn't have any scanned documents ready for this particular subject, btw, just quotes with references], because I want to that the information is TRUE..." I also mentioned that, of course, the interpretation of these things must be honest as well, and not making mountains out of molehills.

She took a short list of references, and told me bluntly: "If this guy gets ONE quote wrong... HE'S DONE as far as I'm concerned!" I told her, "Great! No problem! Like I said, I've no way to verify this like you can with original documents, and you will be doing me a great favor! If he's wrong, I really would like to know!!" I was excited! I told her that she could really help me get to the bottom of it!

Her face lost its anger, and took on a look of determination. She nodded in agreement to this. I have a feeling that she will be greatly disappointed in what she finds.

They were good donuts, and the regular brew subbed well for the cappucino. And though the conversation went a different direction than I'd planned, it was very good. One phrase that she said several times during our conversation was that of "sowing doubts": Was that my motivation? Is that the motivation of these internet sites?...

All I could think was, I do hope that this can be translated into meaning that subconciously, YOU are really having doubts, especially as you verify each thing I have shown you....

bebu

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Jeez, I've been out 17 years, and I still remember that Jesus was technically only the mediator for the 144K. Maybe I haven't lost all the holy spirit after all.

Well done. Not sure I would have pitched the WTS against the Catholic Church - probably could have made the point without selecting a large organization that might have backed her up a bit (only the largest denom in the world - a bit imposing) but a minor point.

Regards,

Phantom

• shamus
    shamus

Very well done, friend! Very very well done!

She has probably never even thought about this kind of stuff before. You are opening her eyes, not ruining her faith. If you wanted to ruin her faith, show her how bad elders really are... not necesarialy in her hall, but others, where they hide child molesters!

Good for you!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Isn't it ironic how the WTS talks about "sowing doubts" and "tearing things down" when the WTS does exactly the same thing to other religions?

• proudassmonkey
    proudassmonkey

you are my hero. seriously. that's all i wanted to tell you!!

• outnfree
    outnfree

Fabulously handled, bebu! Especially with the unexpected change in direction.

I know that the Jesus is only the anointed's mediator troubled me greatly when I finally realized that this is what they were saying.

Because the elders will now pressure her into avoiding you, I'd say to tread carefully in the next little bit.

She reminds me of me, actually. I had a WONDERFUL "study" with a woman who was trying to get me out of the Witnesses as much as I was trying to bring her in. We had a most unorthodox study--I only brought another witness along twice in over a year--which I truly LOVED because I did NOT stick to the 'tower line at all times. We both had great affection for one another and felt that the other truly was a decent, God-fearing woman. And we were! :)

I credit her in part with my departure. I once wrote to the Society about an issue brought up during the study. When I showed her the response she asked me, "And this satisfies you?" I lied and said, "Well, ... yes," but truth be known, it didn't. And a lot of other things didn't either.

She was very kind and patient like you have been. I look forward to hearing the next installment in your story. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.

outnfree

• sens
    sens

well done bebu ...

• kj
    kj

Bebu, you rock! The unexpected turn in the conversation only shows that God is totally using you! I look forward to reading your stories, and it is great that your neighbor continues to listen to you with an open mind. And she is having doubts. JWs are good at hiding their doubts, because they are programmed to feel horribly guilty for doubting Jehovah's visible organization their nasty stinky cult! Thanks again for sharing.

kj

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks for all the encouraging words!! Flowers to you from me...

When she leaves--as I hope--I believe many parts of the world will be cheering with me. Funny how a total "nobody" (as she might view herself sometimes) is actually "somebody" after all... she's totally unaware of it. Which reminds me: you, too, are ALL somebody important as well!!

...Phantom, she's been in for almost 40 years, so I assumed that she had understood a long time back that there was a shift in doctrine to make Jesus the mediator of only the 144,000, even though many folks here had been shocked at learning this point. ...I know the Catholic Church is an easy target to fell, but then again, if any group might have a claim to being the F&D slave, it could easily be the Catholics. I sometimes feel that there is a lot of jealousy on the WTS's part toward the Catholic Church, and in fact I imagine that if I became an ex-JW the first place I might look would be the Catholic Church, just because if it's the WT's worst enemy--something must be right about it! (I'm not Catholic, btw, but was raised in that church.)

...Shamus, you are right about the child molester issue as being important. Actually, that was the whole tip-off of these discussions we are having now! She has watched the Dateline video online with me; she was at a loss for words. (Sexual abuse is an issue that concerns her; she has a lot of compassion. However, she's still held by the WT "slander" defense..)

...Euphemism, your thoughts are exactly MY thoughts!! It's hard to pick up a WT publication and not find some derogatory remarks about other churches or religious groups. It is hard for me to believe that she can't see the hypocrisy in thinking that "criticism is good for me to do, but bad for you to do".

...Proudassmonkey, thanks ... but really, I get the bulk of my inspiration from the determination of lots of folks here who have chosen to follow their consciences, and leave the WT despite terrible consequences!! So I'll pass along the good thoughts to you all.. (Besides, I looked terrible in those capes and tights... )

...Outnfree, thanks for the encouragement in your story! I will definitely tread lightly. In fact, I think that today's discussion helped to steady what may have become rocky if we had plunged ahead with my agenda. (Which I was going to try to keep light, anyway; just let her click and read thru some websites that I'd put into one folder and encourage her to take references and verify.) Do you still ever have contact with that lady you wrote about? If I were her, I'd be absolutely thrilled if you let me know that somehow my words had made a difference for you. I hope that you are still in contact with her. Such kinds of friendships can only get better and better.

...Thanks, Sens. There's still a long, long way to go... ( <----Hey, here's some more sheep for ya! Hope you're getting the zzzz's.)

...kj, thanks. I wonder when things yo-yo sometimes, but if I can keep her friendship strong, I believe that will be a lifeline for her to get out. I feel a lot of hope when I read about how folks would struggle, yet let on nothing and in fact, double their efforts before giving in. I hope and pray that this is also her situation!!!

...I was feeling a little nervous before she came; I worried that things were too organized, and that I was just trusting my own little packaged agenda to work. People are not objects for being programmed by the WT, or even me. It stretches me to communicate with her about our own relationship as friends, to speak "in the moment". It was a very honest experience, and I think honest listening and caring transcends mere "information" in importance when you are talking to a dear friend or family member.

bebu

• Mulan
    Mulan

Wow..................I would have a hard time not telling her my background, so you are amazing. I feel a little sorry for her when she learns Jesus really isn't her mediator. I remember when that hit me, hard at book study when I was about 25. I had included in my comment that Jesus was our Mediator, and was corrected that ".............well actually only for the 144,000." That was a new one for me, and I had been a JW all my life.

Great job!!! I'm Proud Of You

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit