January 2020 Watchtower - the anointed

by Listener 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tiki
    tiki

Maybe they just don't know what they're talking about......

• blondie
    blondie

Great catch, Listener. It made be starting thinking about what the WTS has taught in the past about the resurrection in 1918, the inspection of the temple in 1918, and how that impacts on the 1919 teaching. Here are a few thoughts, but not necessarily all.

I think the WTS is trying to distance itself from their interpretations of what happened in 1918 and tying them to their 1919 teachings, trying to solve the problem of proving their statements about 1919 with the scriptures. Remember I am only reporting not supporting these WTS ideas.

https://jwfacts.com/watchtower/1919-derived.php

Also, in checking the WT Online Library (WOL), I find fewer references about the "first resurrection" in connection with Revelation 20:6 as starting in 1918, since the 1990’s. A common technique of the WTS is to stop mentioning certain key teachings or editing them quietly rather than addressing the change directly.

Questions to consider:

Who came to” inspect the spiritual temple,” God or Jesus?

What was the time period of the inspection and does the WTS connect the end of the inspection with the resurrection of the already dead anointed in 1918?

Does the WTS teach any longer that the “first resurrection” started in the spring of 1918?

(BL: In 2017 the WTS makes this statement without any mention of the "first resurrection" starting in 1918. This is a tactic of the WTS, using ambiguity to leave an opening for a clarification or an explanation for a change in doctrine.)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402017682?q=%22first+resurrection%22&p=sen

The first resurrection would occur sometime after Christ’s presence began.

In 2007 (paragraphs 12 and 13)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007006#h=1:0-55:0

At this point, it may be helpful to consider what might be viewed as a Bible parallel. Jesus Christ was anointed as the future King of God’s Kingdom in the fall of 29 C.E. Three and a half years later, in the spring of 33 C.E., he was resurrected as a mighty spirit person. Could it, then, be reasoned that since Jesus was enthroned in the fall of 1914, the resurrection of his faithful anointed followers began three and a half years later, in the spring of 1918? That is an interesting possibility. Although this cannot be directly confirmed in the Bible, it is not out of harmony with other scriptures that indicate that the first resurrection got under way soon after Christ’s presence began (BL: see rest of article for those scriptures)...Therefore, anointed Christians who died before Christ’s presence were raised to heavenly life ahead of those who were still alive during Christ’s presence. This means that the first resurrection must have begun early in Christ’s presence, and it continues “during his presence.” (1 Corinthians 15:23) Rather than occurring all at once, the first resurrection takes place over a period of time. (BL: this is slipped in there, because the WTS once taught that the first resurrection took place in 1918, not started to take place in 1918)

(A blast from the past (BL: In 1878 the WTS taught that Christ’s presence began in 1874 and began reigning in 1878, changed later to 1914)(see *Proclaimers book, 1993, quote at the end)

(BL: There are very few references in the WOL about the "first resurrection" mentioned at Revelation 20:6 but note these WTS comments in 1982 and 1960 and the "explaining" words in the brackets) If you find this confusing, so do I and I am sure jws today have no idea of the back and forth on the events in the spring of 1918, how many would remember this in 1982 or 1960).

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1982247#h=6:0-14:721

The Scriptures link this “first resurrection” with Christ’s “presence [Greek, parousia].” (1 Corinthians 15:23) The apostle Paul writes: “The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ [starting from the first century and up to Christ’s (BL: not God) coming to the spiritual temple in 1918] will rise first.” Paul then goes on to say that the anointed Christians “who survive to the presence [parousia] of the Lord,” and who therefore die during the parousia, will be immediately resurrected and “caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air.” (1 Thessalonians 4:14-17) They do not have to “sleep” in the grave, awaiting the resurrection. At death they are “changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.”​—1 Corinthians 15:51, 52, Revised Standard Version.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1960563?q=%22time+parallel%22&p=par

In a time parallel, Jesus Christ was enthroned as King in heaven A.D. 1914. Three and a half years later, or in 1918, would be the time for him (BL: note Jesus not God) to come to God’s spiritual temple. Would Christendom’s rulers receive him or reject him as King? They rejected him and showed it by killing the work of Jehovah’s witnesses concerning the Kingdom. Just as the Jewish leaders’ rejection of Jesus could not prevent God’s raising of his Son from the dead, so Christendom’s rejection of the King could not prevent God from raising Jesus’ faithful followers from the dead. So in harmony with the picture of 1900 years ago, it was only a short time after the temple’s cleansing in 1918 (BL: Was the temple cleansed in 1918 or 1919?) that the heavenly resurrection of the anointed Christians sleeping in death took place, unseen to human eyes. The nations were then at war: “‘But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time for the dead to be judged’ . . . And the temple sanctuary of God that is in heaven was opened.” (Rev. 11:18, 19) The spring of A.D. 1918 marked the opening of the temple to the King’s entrance and thereafter the resurrection of the anointed Christians who, along with Jesus, make up “the temple of the living God.”—2 Cor. 6:16.

*1993 Proclaimers book

Presence 1874, Jesus assumed power 1878)

(History of jws: Proclaimers book, 1993, quote below)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101993039#h=67:0-67:669

Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus’ baptism and anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then his riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of 33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time when he would assume his power as heavenly King.* They also thought they would be given their heavenly reward at that time. When that did not occur, they concluded that since Jesus’ anointed followers were to share with him in the Kingdom, the resurrection to spirit life of those already sleeping in death began then. It was also reasoned that the end of God’s special favor to natural Israel down to 36 C.E. might point to 1881 as the time when the special opportunity to become part of spiritual Israel would close.*

• johnamos
    johnamos

As I have already shown is that Jesus makes it clear that the resurrection occurs on the ‘last day’ and the WTS makes clear that the 'last day' coincides with the 1,000-year reign. But also, Paul and the WTS make clear that the resurrection occurs at the sounding of the ‘last trumpet’. So since the 1,000 year reign has not began yet (begins at Jesus’ Matt 24:30 arrival) then that means that the resurrection has not begun yet and means the ‘last trumpet has not sounded yet, which in turn means that Rev 11:15 has not been fulfilled yet because the ‘last trumpet’ is the ‘7th trumpet'.

[John 6:39 This is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose none out of all those whom he has given me, but that I should resurrect them on the last day.]

[7-1-98 WT p.21 par.12 - That “last day” coincides with the Thousand Year Reign of Christ. (Revelation 20:6) Imagine the excitement during that “day” when this grand event begins!]

[2-15-86 WT p.19 par.14 - It is understood that anointed Christians sleeping in death are raised at the sounding of “the last trumpet,” which takes place during the “manifestation” of Jesus Christ in Kingdom glory. (1 Corinthians 15:52)]

[1 Corinthians 15:52 in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we shall be changed.]

[Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel blew his trumpet. And loud voices occurred in heaven, saying: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord (JEHOVAH) and of his Christ (JESUS)”]

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

I was also wondering why this issue was so late

• waton
    waton

it begins on the ‘last day’ when the 1,000-year reign begins.

I should resurrect them on the last day.

during that “day” when this grand event begins!] bold added.

ja: thank you for the quotes. given that wt maintains that the NT is primarily written for / about the anointed, are these texts applied to them?

This would really contradict the current wt doctrine, that all anointed will be resurrected well before the beginning of the Millennium, contradicting Jesus, because they teach that all valid partakers will have passed away at the onset of the Great Tribulation, not a great agreement with scripture that is in red in some bibles. or

could it be that the last generation that passes away after Armageddon be the Other Sheep?-- No, they never die.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have recently come to know of two sisters who now claim to be of the anointed class and my mind just boggles.

One who is more recent has Bipolar mental health issues who has been associated with the religion for more than 40-50 years and been in and out more times than a jack in the box.

And the other one who i think just got sick of waiting for the big "A" that was always just around the corner ,probably realised she was going to die before the big "A" happened so she opted for being one of the anointed .

Personally i think that is a valid reason why the numbers of anointed keep going up ,simply because people are getting sick and tired of being told its just around the corner ,its soon ,its imminent , and it never happens.

so they opt for being one of the anointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit