You Know You're Canadian When...

by dottie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• dottie
    dottie

I just recently recently received this email (yet again) but seeing as I am a "Transplanted Canucker" now living in the U.S., this struck me as alot more funny now because of interactions with my new American friends

1. You are not offended by the term "HOMO MILK". (Yes, I was quite intrigued by the US term 'whole milk')

2. You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield." (Hmm, my fiance teases me about using the word cupboard instead of 'cabinet'...to that I say: "Ok, well the psuedo-wooden door thingy above the stove")

3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars. (Well, sugar products??)

4. You drink Pop, not Soda. (Don't even go there ok...)

5. You know what a Mickey and 2-4 mean (Well this should be universal )

6. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars and no Americans. (I refuse to comment)

7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway. (HUH??!!??)

8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway. (Yes and some of those freeways are not 'Free' either )

9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers. (How do you explain Canadian Tire to an American? I tried explain to Will, but to no avail *sigh*)

10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group. (Yes and I miss them dearly )

11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada. (Yes I have to admit that I do now...when they mention anything Candian actually I make sure everyone takes notice )

12. You brag to Americans that: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & many more, are Canadians. (um...maybe Mike Myers, Nickelback, Tragically Hip & Jim Carrey, but I will not own up to the Shania, Celine or Anne Murray)

13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian! (Really??!!??)

14. You know what a touque is. (Again...explaining the touque thing was difficult as well )

15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed" not "Zee"

17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages,but requires 6 pages for hockey. (Yes down here the weekend religion is "Football" and I am still trying to get used to that one )

18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road work. (Here in Virginia this year it was rain, rain, hurricanes and rain...I'll opt for snow...at least there's sun with snow )

19. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day. (What is 25 C in Farenheit(sp?) is the usual question I get)

20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials. (Hell even I don't get those all the time)

21. You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan". (Sas-Kat-chew-wan) (This was the only province Will knew because of it's name now the spelling part I dunno )

22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from 'Hockey Night in Canada'. (I now have Will trained to do the same thank you very much )

23. You were in grade 12, not the 12th grade. (Whatever...Po-TAY-to...Po-TAH-to)

24. "Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than,"Huh?" (Mine is a combonation of both...a loud obnoxious "HEY??!!??"

25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends!!!! and then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them...further (hehe ) (Actually I know that this email has confused some of my Canadian counterparts although they would NEVER admit to that of course )
  • Simon
    Simon

That's why I feel so at home in Canada ... they speak British English instead of US English !

• Special K
    Special K

Great stuff, Great Stuff

And it all makes sense to me..

Special K.. of the Canadian Order.

• Scully
    Scully

What?!?!?! nothing about Tim Hortons!!??

shame, shame, shame!!

Love, Scully

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, I have to agree with that horrible nurse Scully.

Tim Hortons is a very important part of my Canadian Culture. Although I no longer drink coffee, still, every day, I am there in spirit ordering an extra large with cream.

I think that you are losing your Canadian Spirit down there... and I orderyou to come up to the next apostafest immediately! It is Saturday night, and you must attend or face permanent deletion from ever calling yourself Canadian again.

I am very very ashamed of you right now.... missing Tim Hortons....

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hehe! I understood half of that! Can I be an honourary Canadian?

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Eh?

• Beans
    Beans

When your on the ice you don't have to ask where the top shelf is!

You actually know where BUTT F**K Ontario is and have family there!

Winter is just another place to shag the lassies!

Your unit can withstand extreme temperatures and make a complete appearance until the show is over.

You understand that the word PELT and BEAVER has many meanings!

You actually tell Americans from the south that at Niagra Falls you have to rent Snow Mobiles to get over the bridge! And they believe you!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Beans, you mean there really is a town called BUTT F**K in Ontario?

Walter

• Aztec
    Aztec
    You understand that the word PELT and BEAVER has many meanings!

Mwahahaha!

You actually tell Americans from the south that at Niagra Falls you have to rent Snow Mobiles to get over the bridge! And they believe you!

They're slow so you have to humour them.

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit