The impact and consequences of being born into the jehovahs witness cult.

by RayoFlight2014 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Blondie, Fink and Simon,

It would appear any help we offer would be based on their level of receptivity.

And the information would need to be tailored to the individual, so building a rapport would be necessary.

And I've heard it stated somewhere before that nobody likes a rude awakening, rather, we should be ready with a hot cuppa when we hear them stir from their slumber.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good points there Rayo

"Right Hearted Ones"

This is one of tools the WTS imposes through vicarious exploitation of emotions, love of Jehovah is shown by adherence to the teachings of the GB and the organization.

Guilt and shame is objectivly presented .

The ones who accept the teachings of the GB show the right heart condition, those who dont are evil and are mentally influenced by Satan's control or deemed spiritually weak.

In reality the right heart condition are ones that adhere to Jesus and his teachings, not of sinful imperfect men. Its a point of who you show your true faithful loyalty to in spiritual cleanliness .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "The impact and consequences of being born into the jehovahs witness cult..."

You are unlikely to grow up feeling like a whole person.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One could pose the question .. why are there so many who were brought up in this religion eventually leave it ?

I've known more people who did just that including myself.

The most probable cause is the eventual realization that the bible is chock full of ancient mythology (fiction) and perhaps the intent of trying to emulate the social moral standards of a civilization that existed 3000 years ago is redundantly wrong, given the knowledge of are selves and the world in which we live.

• blondie
    blondie

RayofFlight, I agree with you and I have said this to others as things to consider when telling a jw friend or family member some seemingly lightbulb moment info.

"It would appear any help we offer would be based on their level of receptivity.

And the information would need to be tailored to the individual, so building a rapport would be necessary.

And I've heard it stated somewhere before that nobody likes a rude awakening, rather, we should be ready with a hot cuppa when we hear them stir from their slumber."

I remind them that they did not come to see the real truth behind the teachings of the WTS all at once. That should make us see that they probably will not either. To keep the door open, ask thought making questions and leave it there and let them think about it. I try to let them know I wonder how they would answer my sincere question.

My comment was only what I would do or have done on JWN and in my previous jw life. I hope it did not seem that I was saying others should do what I have done and said. I have over 3 or more years posting on JWN, convinced some JWN readers that are still in to finally make the leap; how do I know, they send pms to me letting me know how I helped them and that I should not give up because not all who make the leap, necessarily let me know that I helped.

I tell readers and posters that only they really know this person, their personality, past, and current lives. To take it slowly, not bury them with several points. Just one topic you know might get them to think outside the box. But leave it if they don't respond to it. I usually let such people come to me rather than me to them, staying friendly, caring, and loving. Not to attack the WTS, but rather to concentrate on what the bible says but not make the conclusion for them. In my case, I did not realize how deep the teachings were in every congregation. How people with sincere doubts were not allowed to express them respectfully, were told that eventually God would clear up their confusion. After 25 years, 8 congregations, 3 countries, I realized how pervasive jws were told to basically shut up and wait on God.

Love, Blondie

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RAYOFLIGHT:

I was not raised a JW but my observations are that the consequences to an individual raised in the Witness religion can range from minimal or no damage to absolutely devastating!.. In other words, some Witnesses have a good life and others not so.

It has to do with so many factors. Whether or not first of all: is the family’s marriage stable? Can the father make a decent living? What is his status in the congregation? If he’s on the fringes it’s better for the family, IMO. The children probably have a more ‘normal’ home and go to college. However, if he’s in the thick of things he can make his family miserable. Heaven forbid if there is any abuse in the house. There are other reasons as well I can’t think of..ALSO, what happens if any member wants OUT or if somebody is DF’d?

It is really a crapshoot as far as I can see. This is a miserable religion and I am so glad I walked away from it.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Hi there Vidiot,

Growing up, I certainly didn't feel like a whole person.

The reason for that should not be placed wholly on watchtower.

With introspection I can see that I was a misfit because of who I was then and am even now; Shy and socially awkward.

The reason why the JW community didn't embrace me as their own and the reason why not only students but teachers also bullied and mocked me was because they didn't understand me...and in my naturally introverted state, how could they?

The fact that I was born and brought up a Jehovah's witness didn't help get me out of my shell. It wasn't a good thing for my personality type.

It was my observation that other folk did well being jw's but that was on them; they knew how to play the fit in and feel whole game.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Fink,

Given the variation in academic and intellectual ability of those who stay and those who leave, it is my opinion that it has nothing to do with a person's intellect.

It has more to do with circumstantial motivators, triggers and the mechanism behind it all...emotions and the appeal to emotion.

Reverse engineering the game play should show how an individual progressed and why, and I think a deeper understanding of the individual is key.

Some people after leaving still feel a need for tradition, mythology and beliief in a god, so I can't agree that coming to a realization the bibble is wrong would be the most probable cause.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Hi Blondie,

I, for one did not take what you have said as being oppressive or overbearing.

I take what you say as sage advice; a valuable opinion that is instructive and coming from an a wealth of experience.

Very interesting to see how similar and yet how vastly different each of us have experienced a life influenced by watchtower.

Yes we certainly need to go gently with our friends who are still in. I know how TTATT affected me after 23 years of hardly giving it a thought. It was like BOOM ...omg.

With love also, RayoFlight2014.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I know how TTATT affected me after 23 years of hardly giving it a thought. It was like BOOM

One of the biggest problems for the WTS/JWS has at the moment in gaining new adherents and sustaining the ones they've got is the vast amount of available information about the organization, its background history, its doctrines and other social activities which the organization has been found responsible for.

For example where did the Acronym TTATT get established and spread about ?

....and you can assume this open uncontrolled information has the GB men very nervous and uneasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit