Dealing with family

by G Skero 21 Replies latest social family

• G Skero
    G Skero

I'm in my mid 40's and recently started bible study and going to meetings. My family is really having a hard time with this. My kids that are over 18 are no longer speaking to me and won't have anything to do with me. Any suggestions????

Thanks.

• Tallon
    Tallon

My advice; Get out of the Org.

• A Ha
    A Ha

Why would your kids stop speaking to you because you started going to meetings? It seems to me that either there are other reasons for this estrangement or they know a lot about the organization and are really opposed to you getting involved.

Most members here are ex-JWs and have a ton of problems with the religion, and many (most?) think it is a cult. I would suggest doing a LOT of reading about this religion before you get serious about it. Once you're a member you will not be allowed to investigate, so do it now.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My family is really having a hard time with this. My kids that are over 18 are no longer speaking to me and won't have anything to do with me.

Any suggestions????

Get Away From The WatchTower / JW`s.................WHILE YOU CAN..

Image result for Man in Quicksand..Image result for Man in Quicksand

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Welcome G Skero

Use Google and research the Watch Tower....maybe your family has and they are not blinded by the "niceness" of the JWs who are studying with you. As a JW you will no longer celebrate birthdays or holidays and you will replace your family with your new brothers and sisters and spend most of your time and resources supporting the WT organization. I was a slave of the WT for over 50 years and I could no longer let someone else decide what I should think or believe in. I left and lost all the conditional friends I had in the cult. Now I am trying to reconnect to the family members I ignored all that time because they didn't believe in the JW truth...

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

LISTEN TO YOUR CHILDREN....RUN LIKE HELL. Do your research on the JW's and their history. Trust me when I tell you, you don't want to go there.

My spouse and I are born in JW's and what we have found out over the past several years in INCREDIBLE. Look into JW.facts.com. You will learn so much!

• G Skero
    G Skero

Thanks for the info.....I'll def do some reading. Guess my girls are smarter than I am and have read up a lot when I told them.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Don't let the JW tell you that the negative information about JW on the Internet is controlled by Satan and that you should expect to be persecuted because the devil doesn't want you to learn the "truth". Your family loves you and they don't want you to fall victim of a cult.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

While it's not right that your children are not talking to you, you might want to do some more research before you get further involved. Then if you decide to join you will be better informed and know you are making the right decision. You see, many of us here are former Jehovah's Witnesses, or current members who are concerned about some aspects of this organization.

When I studied and became baptized many years ago I was not told certain things in the organization about their history and practices. I did not know you could be disfellowshipped for even one instance of what they consider a serious sin, or actually for anything three elders agree on and there would be recourse and that you would loose all your family and friends. I didn't know that if I chose to leave the organization I would still be disfellowshipped if I I'd anything they considered wrong, like celebrating Christmas, that other people consider innocent. You see in this religion there is considered to be no valid reason to leave and in fact if you publicly disagree with any teaching you are considered to be a mentally diseased apostate.

I didn't know they had predicted the end of the world numerous times, and been wrong every time. At the time I joined I was told the world was going to end soon, most likely in 1975. I was told I would never have time for a career in this system of things, so I didn't go to college. Obviously Armageddon did not come, now they pretend they never predicted that and still tell young people not to go to college because Armageddon is so close. I didn't know that they keep their finances hidden, that no one knows what happens to they money they take in. I also didn't know that they hid their issues with child sex abuse by members of the congregation. They still deny they have a problem while secretly paying out millions in settlements and are being investigated by the Australian Royal commission.

So do yourself a favor and think long and hard about whether you want to join this group. Although they mean well, they have lost the love that should be a part of any Christian group and have seriously lost their way. It is a religion of guilt and more guilt. You will never feel like you have done enough, because you will be expected to give up all personal goals and pursuits in obedience to the demands of the organization. You will be looked down on and counseled if you miss meetings or field service, no matter the reason.

Please take the time to research their history. Wikipedia is a good neutral starting point, but also consider JWfacts.com, they have accumulated a lot of quotes from the literature of the organization. You won't be sorry you took the time.

Good Luck

Lisa🌹

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Yes. I agree with NVR2L8. JW's will tell you all the info you are finding out are "apostate lies." They are not lies. My spouse and I left the religion later on in life. The religion we were raised in no longer exists. The changes they make are just incredible. Really check out the generation change they made back in the 90's. The only reason they changed that teaching was because the older ones were all passing away. They had no other option but to change it. The generation teaching was a major teaching. It's like they took everyones hope away. Look at all of the elderly peoples faces. They all look tired and lost. Then they came up with the overlapping generation teaching. Have someone explain that one to you. You will get a "deer in the headlights" look because NO ONE understands and and can't explain it.

I can read any old publication (book)...Moby Dick, Little Women, Gone with The Wind. Those books are still relevant, they have not changed. WT has even instructed the congregations to destroy all of the old publications. You have to ask yourself...why does the all knowing God Jehovah not know how to direct his people and he is constantly changing the Bible and it's teachings? Simple answer....he's NOT directing them!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. THINK, THINK, THINK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit