I went to see my Dr about the blood card issue

by purrpurr 40 Replies latest watchtower medical

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I am in the shoes of being perceived as essentially in "good standing" despite poor meeting attendance, no field service and school participation. I am not worried by this at all. I will be amazed if they really chase this up and make sure they have fully completed forms for all congregation members.

Even if they do chase it, they have no power to compel any individual. Just deflect the request and move on. They will only bother once or twice.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Many JWs signed it in the past and just prayed they never had the "emergency situation" to face the issue. The same will happen with this. If the odds are 100% that you will be exposed as an opposer (apostate) to the JW Doctrine, vs the <1% chance of being taken while unconscious to a hospital needing a transfusion for a life threatening situation, many will play the odds to keep their family. (If you go in while conscious, you can verbally rescind your former position on the Blood Card.) In fact, as a precaution write VOID across the face of the Blood Card that is in your wallet.

You have to learn to beat them at their own game.

Doc

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If pressured by the Elders. Inform the elder(s), your lawyer handles all of your legal and healthcare matters. If you need my medical card I will be happy to give you their phone number? I guarantee you the matter will be dropped. You are not being disobedient to the Elders or Jah! Just following legal advice...blame your lawyer.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

@pale.emperor

Sexist? Again, many religions and a male only clergy etc. and have their reasons.

It isn't just the clergy aspect, that is only part of it, the entire JW society is patriarchal.

It also depends on how you define sexist.

Let's assume for now you are a man.

Please imagine: You are told that you cannot carry a microphone, lead a group in field service, give a public talk, or conduct a Bible study with a JW woman present unless you wear a head covering. If there are no hats available nearby, a towel or napkin placed on your head will suffice.

You cannot make any decisions on how a congregation is ran, how serious incidents of sin are dealt with, how child abuse is dealt with... You must follow the orders of women, you can have no position of responsibility whatsoever.

It doesn't matter how competent, intelligent or reliable you are compared to the sisters in the congregation, you are to do as you are directed by the women at all times.. during meetings and field service, as well as at home with your wife.

But don't worry, we will counsel your wife to not beat or mistreat you, and suggest that it would be a good idea to ask your opinion before making the final decision.

All because you are a man.

Do you think that would be sexist?...

By the way, 'other religions do it' is not much of a defence. See this link:

www.patheos.com/blogs/scienceonreligion/2012/03/180/

Let me guess what you might reply... The Bible says the man is the head of the woman, right?

Who wrote the Bible? Men. Men who lived in a patriarchal society.

Claiming sexism is okay if it is a command in the Bible, or that it's not discrimination if it is something sanctioned within the Bible, is pretty slippery ground to walk on.. Especially when slavery, and rape victims being sold to their rapists, was also an acceptable way to treat people during that time period.

If you are not allowed to do something, purely because of your gender and nothing else, that is discrimination.

www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/women-submission.php

Homophobic? It certainly calls homosexuality a sin, but then so do many other religions.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that homosexuality is an abhorrent act and a perversion.

www.religioustolerance.org/hom_jeh.htm

www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/homosexuality.php

Is that hateful? What do you think?...

I think that whether they promote hate fuelled against homosexual people, or express hatred of homosexual people, is irrelevant. It is avoiding the issue.

Young homosexual people grow up in this religion being taught that their natural feelings are unnatural and obscene, and that if they act on them, God will judge them and destroy them at Armageddon. They are told repeatedly that God hates the practicing of homosexuality.

This teaching may extend to many other religions, but that is because the Bible itself promotes discrimination against people who are homosexual.

Arguing over the exact meaning of homophobia and whether JW's hate homosexuals is pointless. (Many people use the word 'homophobic' interchangeably with 'anti-homosexuality')

Their teachings express God's hatred of it. Their children are taught it is a vile sin:

"All unrepentant homosexuals must die, to cleanse the earth. And we can't wait until that happens... But it's okay, because it will be God doing the killing, not us. So, that isn't technically homophobic (!)."

There's a homosexual baptized member in my hall and he's treated the same as everyone else.

That is only because he is not acting on his natural feelings.

Try considering things from the other side of the fence.

www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/blog/gay-jw-hardship.php

www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/experiences/m0nk3y.php

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Pale emperor, I think most witnesses are very homophobic and male witnesses are generally sexist. The only one I would contest is the racist charge. I know there is racism in southern USA congregations, and witnesses in my own extended family are racist, but I would say the racisim reflects from the communities the witnesses live in, while the homophobia and sexism is generally worse than in the communities witnesses live in.
  • purrpurr
    purrpurr
    Well the racism charge was said by my Dr and was based on her own experience. She didn't say why she had reached this conclusion
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    purrpurr I think your doctor may be confusing JWs with Mormons. Mormons are known for their past racist policy of not allowing black people to join the priesthood. Many people often confuse JWs with Mormons due to the fact that both groups share the common trait of going door to door.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    elders in the Cong are being told to effectively force people into signing it.

That has never been my experience. I have not completed a card for many years & certainly never lodged one with the cong. O K, I am "inactive" but my wife is a true blue dub with an record of "Ministry" and she too has not done so for a long time ,certainly not the last card ,she could not understand all the talk of fractions. Nobody chased her either.

We have been in more than one cong and none of the elders bothers to pursue this matter.

I accept that there are some that will ask about it. Questions can be deflected..they can be put off. Elders will not make this a big issue. It is certainly not a disfellowshipping offence not to carry a card

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Maybe your Doctor heard about the WTBTS's past teaching that all black people will turn white in the Neo-Zionist utopian future?

Anyway, we know that the WTBTS isn't racist because they have one black GB member. With the natural and unavoidable lesser intelligence of the Negroid race, it's surprising that even one black, anointed male exists in our time. Kudos to the WTBTS! That's one rare Pokemon!

DD

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

A couple of things that its good to be mindful of.

2. The Watchtower has on at least one occasion required many thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses to present their pocket size advance directive as a form of I.D. I would not be surprised to see this used again in certain situations, and would be a pretty simple loyalty test. The last time they did it, they reported that as many of 50% of those checked had not signed their card or had it witnesses.

Lee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit