90 minutes from Wembley ......

by The Rebel 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    as you say konceptual, the David and Goliath games can ensure financial survival for the minnows getting a tie against a really big club and does very season, I think we should be thankful to the FA and the sponsors that still make this able to happen, I've been to parts of the world that still show the FA Cup on their TV how many other countries can say that
  • GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Landy : "Darlington (for instance) playing Man Utd at old Trafford would financially secure Darlington FC for five years."

Yes Landy, and some more. We should have sent Mr Reynolds packing before he raped the club....

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Oh yes..when little amateur club Hereford found themselves drawn against the mighty Newcastle United professionals - and beat them at their tiny ground!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ze42I6NEo

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

The day I witnessed Elton John cry.

The occasion the 1984 cup final, Watford v Everton, and as the teams walked out on to the Wembley turf, the T.V cameras focus on Elton John crying with joy as his beloved Watford f.c challenged for the F.A cup. Sat next to him his then wife, Renete Blaiel ( who insidently knew so little about football she cheered when Everton scored the winning goal) Sadly we the better team lost and Evertons goal was a fluke.:-)

Now it's sir Elton John and his new spouse is David Furnish, but one thing is still guaranteed if we get to the final again this year, Sir Elton and I will be there and the tears will roll down his and every Watford supporters cheeks if we win.

Personally I have supported Watford F.C since I was a little boy, there have been so many great times, climbing from the bottom of the 4th to finishing second in the top-flight, relegations and promotions have followed, and play-0ff finals have been won and lost, but winning the f.a cup would still be one of the greatest days in my life.

The Rebel.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Rebel; I certainly do remember Watford as well ! the 2013 Play Offs!
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Snugglebunny, that goal by Radford was voted 97th in the 100 greatest sporting moments.

Yes the F.A cup has made so many national heroes and given so many towns and cities a special place in English culture. I will never forget Jim Montgomory the Sunderland goalkeeping for his display against Leeds, in the 73 final. It's amazing every football fun knows about the 1953 Stanley Matthews final, even if we weren't born in 1953.

For a football fan F.A cup finals were once like our favourite songs, we always remember the year and what was happening when the match took place.

The Rebel.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i lived in west bromwich the year they won the fa cup--about 69--70--?

the crowd to welcome the team home finally put me off football --for life.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Stan Livedeath " the crowd to welcome the team home finally put me of football for life"

The Rebel, Stan you sound like my wife, she hated it when as a family we attended a match, she never understood that 20, 000 grown men ( many of whom I am sure are accountants and bank managers ) could shout " The referee is a wanker"

Now I live far from Watford f.c so sadly attending matches is a special occasion for me, I am however lucky my wife appreciates that, even allows my boy of 10 to come with me. ( secretly she knows we are both shouting " the referee is a wanker" when he makes decisions that goes against the team)

The Rebel.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I would love an afternoon at Wembley in May, and it could be the first major honour the club has won since it was founded in 1881.
    Good luck & best wishes Rebel.. You have a good team these days. My club are out now.How to improve it's status? You could take the sponsor's name out of the competition title for a start.. The Emirates F A Cuo... Is not the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit