90 minutes from Wembley ......

by The Rebel 18 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Which ever country you come from, if you are a football fan you know of the f.a cup. Because the F.A cup is the oldest and most prestigious cup competition in the world. Or at least that's the way it was when I was a kid.

Now this wonderful competition has been cheapened to a non event. Only one reason for that pure financial grreed. What is football coming to when the first goal is maximising revenue, and finishing one place higher in the premier is worth more money therefore more important than winning the F.A cup.

Anyway I am a Watford supporter, one of a group of teams who won't be challenging for a champions league place, nor are we in danger of relegation. So why is winning the f.a cup not a priority for Watford? Instead we have struggled through to the quarter finals by fielding weakened teams, youngsters and players who are not first team regulars.

Oh it would be such a magical day for a Watford supporter to be at Wembley in May, the last time we were in the final was in 1984 when we lost to Everton. That was in the days when the f.a cup was still the greatest cup competition n the world. The truth is for many Watford supporters who were there in 88 we have longed to return ever since and it's now been 28 years,

Anyway for fans of the F.A cup how would you suggest this wonderful competition can become meaningful again? My suggestion is the winners receive a champions league place.

The Rebel

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I know what you mean. When I was a boy the country stopped for the FA cup. It still retains it's magic I think during the 3rd-5th rounds but the final is not the event it once was.

Regardless I am not sure about the CL place for the winner. Are there any rules that determine how places for CL and Europa can be allocated?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Konceptual99 " Iam not sure about the C.L place for the winner"

The Rebel, your probably correct, as that would then weaken the C.L.

Anyway the manager explained why he has been fielding weakened sides, he has been resting the players. Geez these are full time professionals, earning in a week what I earn in a year. God forbid these delicate professionals have to earn that money by occasionally playing two games in a week instead of 0ne.

I should mention I know a few fans who work 50 hours a week, and still never complain about being to tied to attend a game. I should also mention my teams players don't have to worry about playing additional mid-weak European football.

The Rebel

• Landy
    Landy
    The beauty of the FA cup is that it gives the lower league clubs the chance to play the big boys at their ground. Darlington (for instance) playing Man Utd at old Trafford would financially secure Darlington FC for five years.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    The FA Cup is still alive and well, no cup competition is ever going to compete with the PL/CL, but Wembley is sold out for every single final and almost mostly for the semi finals, its saved Arsene Wenger his job ! The Beeb have done some great coverage this season of the non league teams being shown live look at Salford City FC's run having 2 matches televised live to the nation, that would never have happened even a few years ago!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

The final sells out because everyone loves a trip to Wembley to support their team.

Wenger's job has been saved as much by his ability to achieve CL qualification season after season thus securing wads of cash IMHO.

I still love the FA cup but no one can deny that managers regularly belie their words of support for the FA cup with their actions of fielding the B team. There is no longer the culpable magic there once was. Yes, if you are a fan and your team is progressing it's great but the whole country stopped come the end of May, the final was on both BBC & ITV and now it's a sideshow thanks to there being so much else to occupy people.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    The Beeb have done some great coverage this season of the non league teams being shown live look at Salford City FC's run having 2 matches televised live to the nation, that would never have happened even a few years ago!

Hence why the magic of rounds 3-5 remains for me. The Beeb and BTSport have done a good job there.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    if Arsenal had lost to Hull Wenger was out trust me !
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Don't forget the giant killers Landy.

Colchester 3 Leeds United 2

Hereford 2 Newcastle United 1

Wrexhan 2 Arsenal 1

In my opinion getting to the final, and winning the trophy should be an objective of all the big clubs . It really disappoints me how Watford have taken the F.A cup so cheaply this season. The costs of the tickets are bloody expensive, the away comes are travelled to by loyal supporters at great cost and the manager fields a second rate side.

Anyway all Watford supporters and the whole town would love to get to the final this season. I hope we take the quarter final seriously, it would be pathetic if we field a weekend team against Leeds.

Personally I never imagined a time football could become so much about money that Watford f.c would be more interested finishing 7th rather than 12th in the premiership than winning the f.a cup. And that's essentially what it comes down to.

I would love an afternoon at Wembley in May, and it could be the first major honour the club has won since it was founded in 1881.

The Rebel.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Oldham 3 Liverpool 2

Sutton United 2 Coventry 1

Westbrom 2 Woking 4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit