What aspects do you view most favorably about the WT and/or its religion?

by Disillusioned JW 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Even if you disapprove of much about the WT and/or its religion, what aspects do you view most favorably about the WT and/or its religion? For me one of the things I view most favorably about the WT and its religion is its extremely strong insistence that JWs never intentionally kill another human being. I especially appreciate that regarding those who have been born, but I think some abortions of human embryos might be justifiable. Another thing that I really appreciate about WT and its religion is their requirement that JWs must not join any military. The WT has created an organization consisting of millions of people who have those values. That is an impressive and very honorable feat.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

About the only thing they ever got right was to ban smoking and using drugs. Abusing drugs exposes you to all the risks without any benefit, and smoking cancer sticks is simply a waste of money and time that ruins your health (though not as much as the torture shots they are pushing for this coronavirus, which permanently sets you up for chronic health problems of all sorts and you cannot undo).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I agree that smoking and using illicit drugs is very bad for health, but I believe full Covid-19 vaccination for the vast majority of people is far more beneficial for them than harmful for them. I have received two full doses of Moderna's vaccination and I am glad for that, despite the discomfort I felt from both doses (especially from the latter dose).

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

For me one of the things I view most favorably about the WT and its

religion is its extremely strong insistence that JWs never intentionally kill another human being.

So have many other religions, but you dont have to be religious to despise war.

Secular humanism is ideologically against war but has nothing to do with religion or religious beliefs..

• a watcher
    a watcher

The aspect of JWs that I like most is the opportunity to bond with Jehovah forever.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

It sure was nice that I was never exposed to tobacco smoke in the homes of any of my JW family members. It was also nice (at least since the year I was born) that smoking never took place inside a Kingdom Hall building.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The racial harmony us one of the few things they have right. Note that you will still find racial cliques, along with the "moneyed". The morality preached along with committed marriage is good, even though not practiced in reality

The religion I was born into has changed immensely. Some of the changes I notice comes from my maturity and being in a suburb instead the core city where I started. The city had salt if the earth who would give the shirt off their back, the burbs will too, except it has a $ attached.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Agree with you there DJW but alcohol drinking was another problem of sorts to be noted.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    For me one of the things I view most favorably about the WT and its religion is its extremely strong insistence that JWs never intentionally kill another human being.

For me, this was one of the more troubling of WT doctrines growing up as a 4th gen. JW. Had the Japanese and Germans won WW II, we would have all been enslaved (or sent to gas chambers or ovens) and there would be no freedom....especially for the WT.

In other words, the existence of the WT was dependent on the blood of people they say were breaking God's laws. Yet without soldiers' willingness to kill, no one could hear the WT
    message to not kill! It made no sense to me as a kid. Contradictions like this drove me nearly insane trying to live as a JW when I was a kid.

1. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. - Romans 13: 4

Many Roman soldiers are favorably mentioned in the bible as men of faith. Cornelius, one of the first gentile Christians, was an active duty Roman army officer.

People have a god-given duty (not to mention common sense duty ) to protect their families, neighbors and countries, and if need be to use lethal force.

2. "he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one" - Jesus at Luke 22: 36

It's scriptural, and just plain common sense. Something JW's are not known for.

This unbiblical teaching feeds their phony sense of moral superiority while masking cowardice... something that JW's ARE known for.

Never fell for it as a kid..... saw right through it.

• waton
    waton

The pool of people, supposedly chaste, that are seeking marriage, mates. But, together with the conscientious objection to war duty already mentioned, also not a monopoly of the wt world. .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit